choices choices

-

dodgeboy

Reaction score
need a little input on somethin,my brother is lookin at a couple of old 4x4 dodge trucks.first onw is a 74 w200 318/auto runs strong has the usual rust floors solid has a plow its an an ugly green has a workin plow on it 650$other one is a 84 200 series 360 4spd 2 tone brown /beige says it has timing issues so havent heard it run were gonna check timing b4 dealin he has been drivin an isuzu trk that belonged to our dad b4 he passed it needs some work including a bunch of sensors the guy with the 84 is willin to trade trks on that one if u was in this situation what would u do thx for input.

Depends what he wants. The 74 is easier to work on less emissions and it has a plow. The newer 84 is getting into emissions. I like the 4 speed in the newer truck. You can easily change timing gears and chain. Both trucks are very similar other than the 84 will have more of a modern feel because the 74 was a truck. I 86 and a 73 and I like each for their own reasons so it is pretty much a toss up. I wouldn't want to make the choice as to which one to give up. Oh and the 360 will be harder on the gas budget. But then that would depend on gearing. I am not sure I have been any help.

thx dartnabout,im goin with him tomorow to look at both of them . the isuzu is actually mine but there come a time when u have to let it go.but i want to make sure if he gets the 84 its not somethin serious in the timing deal

the drivetrain in the 74 w200 is tougher than the 84. if thats what your looking for.
I have a 73 360 w200, same motor and drivetrain as when I bought it in 84.

I'm going to risk taking a little hating on this. Make sure you really want a truck of that vintage for a DD. Fuel mileage will suck. I was around when these trucks were new and they had a terrible reputation for body integrity. Mopar only got their act together in the 1994 model year as far as their trucks go.

That said, $650 for the plow alone is a terrific deal, but trucks that have plowed tend to be used hard. I like the '84 styling better, but they are basically the same truck. 318 in a 200 series is a little under powered. The 360 is a better choice. With the Isuzu trade, I'd say the '84 is a better bet, but you are the one who will actually see them and there may be other factors. Timing chain replacement is not a deal killer, but make sure that there are not worse problems. Either truck is easy enough to work on. They both had emission controls and the earlier truck was much cruder. I wouldn't pick the '74 solely for emissions considerations.

Good luck!

I am in total agreement with Gryzynx except for one point. I am now changing the engine in my 86. What a vacuum and wiring nightmare all because of the emissions. And believe it or not I have a 97 too....9 mile to the gallon so in my opinion there has not been a lot of improvement there. OH yes I also have a 69 /6 I didn't realize I had a truck in each era. Maybe I am not the one to ask....I LOVE these old trucks.

update,we went and looked at both trks today and came home with neither of them,the 74 every body panel short of the roof was either rusted thru or dented beyond repair needed exhaust from heads back tires were shot ran ok moved under its own power plow worked but wouldnt budge off 650 on it. the 84 we finally got it started and it either had a bad wrist pim or bearing it had a real bad metal to metal squeel and knock no oil pressure so no trade on that one,we got that one for 600 its relatively solid we already have a lead on a motor for it for 200 so less than a grand up and runnin and keepin my dads isuzu.sorry for such along post.

-
Back