choke thermostat

-

DaisyDart

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i'm prepping my car for the new season, and i have a question about the choke thermostat. When i bought my car mine was disconnected from the carb, i don't even know if it works or not but either way it looks pretty grungy and old. Should i buy a replacement, or should i consider maybe the electric conversion? I've seen some posts about them but i have yet to hear anyone recommend them over for the stock mechanical type!

Thank for any input!

Is it a 4bbl carb? I do like the electric choke by far! If there is aftermarket electric choke conversions ava then by all means get it! If the intakemanifold hasn't been off in a while I'm sure the crossover is plugged anyway with carbon & the stock style choke probably don't come off very quick any way.

You'll get more help if you'll tell what you're working on. Mechanical chokes can work fine if set up right. When I changed the base gasket under my 2 brl. to a taller one ( to cure fuel boil issue ) I needed to readjust the choke link height accordingly.

I like the electric chokes myself.

When installed and hooked-up properly, you just pump the gas twice, start the car, wait for the oil pressure gauge to get good pressure reading, and just drive it away... Even in 0° F winter temps, I could start my car, wait for oil pressure to build, then put it in gear and drive away without any stumbles or hiccups. Great in winter and summer. Once it's installed and adjusted, it's carefree... Just make sure to get a GOOD 12 volt input source...

Ya sorry, i have a 225 slant six with a 1 bbl holley 1920. I am considering both options but want to know which will give me less fuss overall ( less problems, less maintenance )

-
Back