Choosing a cam

-

dstan

Reaction score
I am building a mopar 383 and need help with cam selection. I am trying to find a hyd flat tappet. The Engine has flat top piston that don't have valve reliefs and sit at zero deck. The heads are 1968 250 castings that have 2.14/1.81 valves and have not been shaved. I will be using .02 head gaskets
I am looking for a cam with good lift, but not enough duration to cause a valve to hit the pistons.
It will have 9.5:1 comp, 3000 stall, 3.55 gears and weigh 3700lb
I have a 509 purple cam with 292duration and 108lsa on hand, but I believe that it will be too much for those pistons without valve reliefs.
Thank you for any recommendations.

I am building a mopar 383 and need help with cam selection. I am trying to find a hyd flat tappet. The Engine has flat top piston that don't have valve reliefs and sit at zero deck. The heads are 1968 250 castings that have 2.14/1.81 valves and have not been shaved. I will be using .02 head gaskets
I am looking for a cam with good lift, but not enough duration to cause a valve to hit the pistons.
It will have 9.5:1 comp, 3000 stall, 3.55 gears and weigh 3700lb
I have a 509 purple cam with 292duration and 108lsa on hand, but I believe that it will be too much for those pistons without valve reliefs.
Thank you for any recommendations.

Regardless of what cam you choose to run, always measure piston to valve clearance on you're build. 65'

Regardless of what cam you choose to run, always measure piston to valve clearance on you're build. 65'

I'm going to check whatever I get with the old playdoh test. Howard cams told me they would suggest this a few minutes ago.

I'm going to check whatever I get with the old playdoh test. Howard cams told me they would suggest this a few minutes ago.

What rear gear / converter stall do you plan on running? 65'

Sorry, it's in you're thread! That's probably about all the cam you would want with you're setup. 65'

IMO - keep it under [email protected] and you should be fine. IMO the Howard's is a little too much for a 3700lbs car. But I don't run their cams so take that for what it's worth.

:D
IMO - keep it under [email protected] and you should be fine. IMO the Howard's is a little too much for a 3700lbs car. But I don't run their cams so take that for what it's worth.
I agree. That cam might be a little soft down low. Just form the record Moper's opinion is worth more than my opinion, on the matter. IMO:D

-
Back