Chromabase from Dupont

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use this? I had run out of the paint I was going to use on my '70 Dart. I ended up getting a pint of the above in title matched to a power tec panel I had sprayed with the previous stuff. It is darker in the can, but when reduced to spray, it is darn near a match! And the effect, while not an exact copy, very close to be ok with me. So, who has experience using the Chromabase metallic effect from Dupont? Thanks.

I have used it on the work vehicles. It lays nicely. Here was the last one freshly sprayed. It is holding up well after 3 years with the boss never washing it. While not the greatest color combo it s the company colors so I have to live with it.

Thanks, what clear coat? I plan on using a 3 component polyurethane for marine use. Stuff is resistant to an awful lot of stuff like gas, oil, any kind of hydraulic fluid. When the rich boys have their toys, like yachts, they don't want to mar the finish. I'm hoping there won't be a compatibility issue.

Dupont actually sold their paint operations to another company, Axalta. Chromabase has changed to chromax. I've used Chromabase for years and found it it great stuff. Now that it has changed, I really don't have a firm opinion yet.

Thanks Gary. That explains why I see Chromax on the thinner reducer. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of times companies will keep the formulas intact. After all, if it works why change it. Time on reformulating is money spent. Unless some new regulation comes along that prohibits a material that is in the product line, like a solvent or even a pigment or whatever.

Thanks Gary. That explains why I see Chromax on the thinner reducer. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of times companies will keep the formulas intact. After all, if it works why change it. Time on reformulating is money spent. Unless some new regulation comes along that prohibits a material that is in the product line, like a solvent or even a pigment or whatever.

yep. at the time of the sale, both companies said existing product lines would not be affected

-
Back