chrome door hinges

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have an idea, and need some input. years ago I saw a chevelle race car with chrome door hinges and it was a pretty cool detail. I currently have the 68 Valiant in for paint, and it needs a driver door hinge repaired/replaced. My thoughts were to buy a complete set of repro or used and send them in for chrome. What's the thought on this? would they need to be completely disassembled?, Taking them all apart may not be worth it. who does chrome?

Spend your money on chrome that will show.

Valve covers
Air cleaners
Breathers
Rims
Bumpers
Trim around the windows...polish
Master cylinder cap
Exhaust tips
Anything in the engine bay...chrome makes your car run better.

You get the idea......more chrome to get you home is a great montra but only if people can see it and understand why....:D

Why would you?

because these cars all start looking the same! Chrome is not my taste, but it would give you a cool little detail.

not too hard to disassemble, and if you are getting other stuff chromed anyway, it probably wouldn't cost too much.

I would just take your current hinges apart and buy the new pin and bushing sets. they have brass bushings that install inside the pin area. would look cool with the chrome. I would sand blast your hinges and then take a fine grit flap wheel or belt sander to them and knock off all the sharp edges and smooth them out. they would look alot better that way.

Its the details that stand out. Think of something most people don't think of! Its that strange stuff people remember. A big question on the chrome is, Do the hinges need to be disassembled???

Its the details that stand out. Think of something most people don't think of! Its that strange stuff people remember. A big question on the chrome is, Do the hinges need to be disassembled???
my uncles 57 Chevy had all the hinges (doors,hood,ect) chromed. And let me tell ya, it was a damn nice touch!

water will get in there and they will get rusty and good luck cleaning them... its tight in there.

I am just confused, so when you go to a car show your going to leave both your doors open so they hinges can be seen? If I was at a car show and a car had its door open, the last thing I would be looking at would be the hinges.

And chrome wise, in Michigan using nickel is illegal so any chrome shop in MI that doesn't send there parts out of state or to Canada the chrome will not last as long as chrome with nickel platting. My front and rear bumpers are being done in Ohio.

Save the hinges....here's something you can chrome that is a detail that is unique and that everyone sees when your hood is up. This should keep you busy and away from those chevy guys and their crazy ideas :D

Attachments

• hood latch.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 144
Very cool, now that's what im talkin about. Its those things people don't think of. unfortunately I have a fiberglass hood

OK....well how about your retainer ring on your windshield wiper motor?

Still unique and still visible when the hood is up.

If not that then how about your horn brackets?

Lots of things under the hood that look great chromed and people will see them.

Attachments

• 100_2057.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 142
Contrary to unpopular belief, a car can be both a driver and a show pony....:D

I know, but I was looking for confirmation. If the car is going to be driven in the rain, caroming anything exposed to said weather may not be an ideal choice

That is the truth for sure.

Gotta stay up on the chrome with polish/wax or it will tarnish/rust no matter what.

Sigh......the major downfall of chroming anything:banghead:

So you go to a show, would you open both doors to show off the chromed hinges? Good luck w/that. A waste of time and $$$.

Like the man said...your $$$ do whatever makes you happy and to tulsa with the rest.

I think you know you could come up with something better to chrome though. :glasses7:

-
Back