Chrome ignition module vs rev-n-nator

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys upon reading some other threads im curious. Have been running the orange box in my demon for about 3-4 years now and never had a issue. Replaced the summit distributor this year with one of trail beasts' and i noticed a difference as the summit one had issues. Now not quite sure im ready to go hei but i was wondering if the chrome module or the rev n nator module would be any better than the orange? Car runs strong but if i can improve certain aspects then thats a bonus. Yalls thoughts? What is the main difference between the chrome and orange box? I already Did the electronic ignition conversion while still using the ballast resistor

Put a rev-n-nator on my car and my chrome box in my tool/spares kit in the trunk.
2thumbs.gif

It idles smoother, starts quicker and runs just a little leaner than the chrome box did. Switched to a Blaster High vibration coil too.
The rev limiter in the rev-n-nator is a nice option too.

I think I would just stick with the orange box IMHO. HEI is ok but the difference in performance is little. Rev-a-nator is good step up from the orange or chrome box, but at a cost of course. Maybe try the revanator and keep the orange box for a back-up.

I went with a FBO unit from 4 seconds flat. Has a built in rev limiter. Car starts much easier and idles better. You bypass the ballast resister . They do take a certain coil they sell . Got mine in a package deal . Coil,box and connectors for 169.95. I was going to go rev-a-nator but heard about problems with them.

Would i still be able to use the ballast resistor with the rev n nator? Im leaning towards the chrome one just to see but not sure.

Also does the rev n nator need a specific coil? I just put a new taylor cable coil on it when I installed trail beasts' distributor

Would i still be able to use the ballast resistor with the rev n nator? Im leaning towards the chrome one just to see but not sure.

Also does the rev n nator need a specific coil? I just put a new taylor cable coil on it when I installed trail beasts' distributor
You can still use the ballast with the revNator. The FBO ignitions removes ballast. No specific coil needed for Rev box. I have an Orange box, Rev, and MSD and as of now like Rev best. But next build going with the FBO. Dustin

The Orange box has a high RPM timing retard, for what that's worth. It is there to help keep detonation down as cylinder pressure increases with RPM. Good for a pump gas street motor, but not so good for high RPM performance.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

its a high performance pump gas motor lol. 10:1 comp and 400 horses with forged bottom end and internals.
so is that why i notice around 5000 that it feels like it drops off?

its a high performance pump gas motor lol. 10:1 comp and 400 horses with forged bottom end and internals.
so is that why i notice around 5000 that it feels like it drops off?

Could be!

I dont rev it that high often but it feels like it pulls more under 4k. I noticed a difference in the higher rpm after I installed one of trail beasts' distributors

The rev o nator is pretty pricey, but from what I have read and seen, it works well.

Do you believe the 40 hp claims? Just dont want go buy the chrome box then later buy the rev n nator. Also there is no warranty on the chrome box. I heard the rev n nator has a 1 year warranty

Put a rev-n-nator on my car and my chrome box in my tool/spares kit in the trunk. View attachment 1714998280
It idles smoother, starts quicker and runs just a little leaner than the chrome box did. Switched to a Blaster High vibration coil too.
The rev limiter in the rev-n-nator is a nice option too.

Did you have to adjust the timing as a result of it running leaner

No, I don't buy the 40 HP change. If all else remains the same, that's a ton for just changing ignition.

So would it be safe to say the chrome box is a better compromise? Less than half that of a rev n nator. Although a rev limiter would be a nice added feature

I think that's a question for you to answer yourself.

Well ive read of guys having issues with a bouncing tach etc. plus i dont power shift it, so the chances of over reving it are slim. Sounds like the chrome box is still tried and true. Still thinking though

Did you have to adjust the timing as a result of it running leaner
It was a little "Fat" at idle before. It's just not quite as fat at idle.
Leads me to believe it is getting a better burn.
.040 over Stroked 340, 418 CI, full roller cam, solid lifters, Eddy heads straight out of the box, Quick Fuel 650 DP, LD340 intake, 340 exhaust manifolds, 480 HP @ 5700 RPM and 511 Torque @ 4300 at the crank. 4 speed car

Hmmmmm. Notice any difference between the rev n nator and chrome box drivability wise? Also did you have any timing changes after installing the rev.?
I got a .040 over 340 with eddy heads and intake lunati voodoo cam and 340 hi po manifolds around 400 hp and 400 ft lbs. it runs good with the orange box just looking to improve wherever i can

Ordered the rev n nator. Hopefully it goes in without any issues. We shall see. They have a 90 day miney back guarantee plus a 3 year warranty. They also recommend their coil for their box but i think the taylor cable i have will work fine

$43 Mopar orange box - never had one
$78 Mopar chrome box - ran the same one from 1987-2014, now it's my spare.
$199 Rev-n-nator - Starts quicker, Idles and runs smoother. May get just a little better mileage.
$399 Rev + Coil + Dizzy - If they hadthis "Package" 2 years ago I probably would have bought it...
Instead it's an Accel dizzy, Blaster coil and rev-n-nator. Maybe a little less than the cost of the "Package" but very happy with the results. Plugs look good too!
Sparkplug.JPG

Camshaft: Custom Ground Crane - SR246/362-2S-8IG , .543/.561 L/S: 104 Int. C/L: 108
No Vacuum advance. I think most people already do this but I put a BB in the distributor vacuum hose and then reconnect it...

-
Back