Chroming Pot Metal Tail Light Bezels

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

Fellow FABO Members, Does anyone know where one can have pot metal parts re-chromed? For example, I am working on a 65 Dart GT, and I have a 66 Dart GT, and both cars need some work on the tail lights. On the 66, I need to have the outer tail light Bezels on the driver side redone, and on the 65, all four of the inner tail light Bezels. I hear this kind of work is called triple plating and is expensive, but quality does not come inexpensively. I also need a pair of 65 Dart back up lenses in nice shape....As long as I am asking. Thanks for all the help members have given to me on these projects....much appreciated. Best. PM me at Old Dart 66.

Pot metal can be re-chromed, but you have to be sure your plater is good at it. Like all chrome work, the expense is in the prep and pot metal can be hard to repair. The better the pieces are to start, the better the end results. Often, the parts are copper plated to fill imperfections and then buffed down... sometimes over and over.

It's not cheap... and if repops are available, I'd go that route to save $$.

Triple chroming refers to the three layers, copper, nickle and chrome.

Pot metal can be re-chromed, but you have to be sure your plater is good at it. Like all chrome work, the expense is in the prep and pot metal can be hard to repair. The better the pieces are to start, the better the end results. Often, the parts are copper plated to fill imperfections and then buffed down... sometimes over and over.

It's not cheap... and if repops are available, I'd go that route to save $$.

Triple chroming refers to the three layers, copper, nickle and chrome.

Big John, I have three complete sets for the 66 with good looking inner Bezels. Of the three sets, one set on the outers on the driver side is dented....no good, one set is so pitted, no good, but one set would be a candidate. I have been looking, on and off, via our forum, eBay, and etc for three or so years, but lots of $$$, and/or same as what I have got. I will bite the bullet, I suppose, real soon and just get them bought. When I began rebuilding the car, a member had an NOS set for $400.00, and I missed the boat. Thanks for the advise. Jerry

Advanced Plating - Nashville, TN

Saw this company showcased on Spikes Powerblock TV before. They look to do great work and specialize in pot metal items. When I get ready to my brite work on my car I will be contacting them to redo my chrome items.

Advanced Plating Shop Tour Nashville, TN

Thanks Matt, I will give them a look. Just can not find anything decent to put on the 66, and after two/three years, maybe its time to get them redone. But who knows, maybe a nice set will show up. Appreciate your time in answering my post. Old Dart 66

Fellow FABO Members, Does anyone know where one can have pot metal parts re-chromed? For example, I am working on a 65 Dart GT, and I have a 66 Dart GT, and both cars need some work on the tail lights. On the 66, I need to have the outer tail light Bezels on the driver side redone, and on the 65, all four of the inner tail light Bezels. I hear this kind of work is called triple plating and is expensive, but quality does not come inexpensively. I also need a pair of 65 Dart back up lenses in nice shape....As long as I am asking. Thanks for all the help members have given to me on these projects....much appreciated. Best. PM me at Old Dart 66.
I need two for my 65 GT. These bezels would be a fun project to reproduce on a CNC mill. I would make them from mild steel and have them chromed. I'll probably make four so they all match. Should be difficult to tell from NOS. Guessing to have about $300. all in. Any market out there for these? Hope to show these repros in a month. Also looking for back up lenses. :)

I had Superfineshine do the tail light housings for my 64 Valiant. They came out excellent. The had some pitting which was repaired and when I got them back I am sure they are better than they were new. So I had them do the housings for my 64 Barracuda too. They were in pretty nice shape to start with and came back as nice as you could ask for.
Contact Philip at Chrome Plating in Ohio in Chillicothe Ohio

Thanks to all, somethings to contemplate, but have to get moving before the spring shows start up. Appreciate everyone's time. Old Dart 66

-
Back