Chrysler 604 (sort of off topic)

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have a recently rebuilt trans in my wife's Town & Country. Since the rebuild, I've got about 10000 mi on it with no problems. I also have a new toy - a transmission flush and fill machine. I am going to drop the pan and change the filter. If I wanted to run a flush solution through it, what should I use? I dont want to dammage anything, but I dont want to neglect it. Will flushing with mineral spirts hurt anything or should I just exchange the fluid?

Brian

Brian,

I also posted recently on a T&C A604 rebuild, since keeping me from moving forward on the Dart. My real need was to replace the flex-plate (hope you changed that, read my post), but did the tranny to be safe and found it perfect inside. Currently, I am fixing an A413 in my son's Voyager (never ends).

I wouldn't use mineral spirits, unless you read that is a common procedure. It could attack rubber seals. When you refill, look for synthetic ATF+4. I noticed that the Autozone brand is also synthetic, so maybe from the same plant as the over-priced brands.

BTW, much discussion on what ATF to use in our old 904 and 727 transmissions. Original was "suffix A" since only other choice then was "Type F" (mostly Fords). I have used Type F because I read it had more friction modifiers. Standard suggestion is Dexron III, but recently I read that ATF+4 has even more friction (less slip and shudder). For A404/413/604 (same as older Torqflites), some recommend Dexron III, but I also read to use ATF+4. I does cost a bit more, but take no chances with a tranny.

-
Back