Chrysler assembly line workers!

-
Maybe this will help yall understand what I am talkin about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_B_Series

The truck in that assembly line is a Dodge B series, just like mine. They were made from 48-53. PERIOD. Look at the way the door is made. It is clearly a B series. The Power Wagons that were used into the 60s had flat doors. WM series. That truck clearly is a B series because it has B series doors. It's an anomaly. It shouldn't be there. I wanna know why it was there.

You are right RustRatRod! Thanks for correcting me. You learn everyday for sure.

They might have used the B series past 53, but I have found zero evidence of it. The Power Wagons got used past 53 for sure. I sure would like to know the deal there. It's an interesting mystery for sure.

Yeah maybe, but he Power Giant was a completely new model. Just doesn't make sense they would still use the old ones. Maybe they were tryin to get rid of them.

Stamping plant couldn't keep up on the new ones, maybe? Wouldn't be the first time commercial trucks used "old" designs for a long time. Heck...Ford's MDT's used the 1980-86 interiors right up through 1998! GM's MDT's used the 80's interiors until 1999.

This may be a little off topic for this thread, but unlike today, didn't they concurrently run several different models through the same assembly line back in the day? So as a line worker you may be installing things on a string of Barracudas then the next time you turn around there is a Challenger there before you. Guess the line moved slow enough so that you could see what was coming next to make sure you grabbed the right part for it. Or did they sequence the different models somehow? Like running the different models on different days, or shifts? Curious as to how that worked out.

They did that into the 90's...my Dakota was built at the Toledo Jeep plant! Apparently, they came down the line with the Wranglers.

I love to see these pics. I always wished I could find pics of how they jigged up the unibody to assemble and weld all together. What would be great is some old real to real film of one of the plants operating back in the day, Now that would be AWESOME!!!!! I like to watch the movie Christine just to see the plant operation in the beginning of the movie even though it's just a movie still pretty Cool!!! :)

I love to see these pics. I always wished I could find pics of how they jigged up the unibody to assemble and weld all together. What would be great is some old real to real film of one of the plants operating back in the day, Now that would be AWESOME!!!!! I like to watch the movie Christine just to see the plant operation in the beginning of the movie even though it's just a movie still pretty Cool!!! :)

Here ya go.................

[ame]http://youtu.be/O-Fhp4DyTUU[/ame]

Love the video cjh!

Did anyone watch the "trial by torture" video, daredevil driving stunts in an 1936 Plymouth?

Just watched the 1942 Dodge test, too.
Dallas

This thread gives me a whole new appreciation for the Johnny Cash song, "One Piece At A Time." Never would have guessed so much 5-finger-discount went on (or forklift-pallet-discount, as the case may be).

Doing little things on my car, I've often wondered where the person is now that originally installed the part I'd be working on. I can imagine being an assembly line, many jobs were pretty tedious. Cool thread though. I like it.

This thread gives me a whole new appreciation for the Johnny Cash song, "One Piece At A Time." Never would have guessed so much 5-finger-discount went on (or forklift-pallet-discount, as the case may be).

Doing little things on my car, I've often wondered where the person is now that originally installed the part I'd be working on. I can imagine being an assembly line, many jobs were pretty tedious. Cool thread though. I like it.

I totally agree with you. I've been in contact with more then 20 assembly line wprkers and they have told me some stories. I can get the feeling for Johnny Cash song!

Few cool pics from allpar...

Attachments

• engine-assembly.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 373
  • engines.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 362
  • making-engines.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 386
  • pistons.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 352
This thread is sooo cool, I have 38 years now in a GM assembly plant, just from the pics back in the 70s to now the difference in assembly is so barbaric its like only 45 years ago was the stone age. The workers back then just from the mid 50s to the mid 70s when I hired in were dead at the end of the shift, the turn over rate would have been extremely high if not for the decent wages they paid. Imagine putting tires on by hand, no hoist and usually at a chest high level for 8 plus hours a day, I have even put car batteries in for 8 hours a day, no hoist and that job did do some damage to me but....the money was good so I stuck it out. When I hired in I was put on the very worst job in the plant, in a lead grinding booth, they used lead NOT body putty back then, women werent even allowed within 60 feet of the area, had to take a blood test to check for lead poisioning every 30 days, high lead would make women infertile.

I never knew they put the torque converters on the engines, would have always thought they would be in the transmission then bolted to the engine.

They had to have aligned and marked the front pump somehow or it would be damn near impossible.

They come into our plant in the trans, the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is rotated to align the bolt holes on the convertor to be shot. I should start getting some pics to post up, much of the Big 3 assembly is about the same, hell I can get live vids too if the job operators dont mind LOL. In those pics above the reason was probably to balance the rotating assembly together??

They come into our plant in the trans, the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is rotated to align the bolt holes on the convertor to be shot. I should start getting some pics to post up, much of the Big 3 assembly is about the same, hell I can get live vids too if the job operators dont mind LOL. In those pics above the reason was probably to balance the rotating assembly together??

Now that's a good thought.

I talked with a guy working at the assembly plant in Los Angeles after he returned from WW2 stationed in Hawaii. He worked there until 1973 when he retired.

All parts arriving to the plant was unloaded and if the parts were needed right away the parts bin were sent to the assembly line right away. That meant that the parts were natural with nothing on. If parts was going to be stored for a longer time, parts was placed on a conveyor and got a shot of black paint just to cover. No perfect paint, only to cover so the parts didn't arrive dark rust red at the line later on.

Some parts were strored outside before ending up on the assembly line. For that reason parts got rusty.

Due to this procedure the parts for a front axle would be natural, black or rust red!!

-
Back