Chrysler Closes....

-
I feel bad for the workers and their families, I hope they can get thru this OK.

That's more than I can say for the bean counters and the jack-holes that run the place though.........

I just read that OPEC will make it`s single largest output cut ever in an effort to drive the price of oil up.

a local toyota dealership just merged with a local ford dealer.
toyo and frd in the same show room. hhhmmmmmm????

a local toyota dealership just merged with a local ford dealer.
toyo and frd in the same show room. hhhmmmmmm????
I dont think they can merge, something is wrong with that.....

thanks to our great dessions the greatest country is being reduced to a third world country.

And if we let our leadership keep making these dwesions to bail out everthing in sight we will just make it worse.

yes I feel for the workers but they helped make this mess by not wonting to give anything up to help out.

my 5 cents worth

A large part of the problem is on the union and the workers. Neither wants to make concessions to save their jobs. Geeze, I don't re-call getting 85% of my pay when I was laid off. That is part of the UAW contract. The union and the workers have to help in this too. Not just you and me. Let them file chapter 11 and re-structure their business plan, otherwise even the 25 billion will be gone in short order.

I got this in an e-mail earlier this month - see what you think. Sounds like the audio for the voice over was done in someone's house, but it has some interesting information:

This is VERY interesting .. It is a short video of a new Ford plant in Brazil.

One look at this and you will be able to tell why there will probably never be another assembly plant built in the USA. It will also point out why more assembly plants will go offshore.

Do not be scared into thinking that Ford, GM, and Chrysler are going to go under. They will survive, but their assembly operations in the US likely won't --whether we provide a bailout or not.

Watch the video.

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=1189

Who needs them.

No, wait I'm thing of GM.
This is a time of rethinking everything we have believed in. We all knew this was coming when the government gave it's blessing to the companies to move to other countries. We knew the competition would lead to pressures and even extreme pressures on the economy of the US. I liked Bill Clinton but have been told that he was the one that came up with the free trade agreement. I don't know who it was but they sold the US down the road. I don't know who started this but they should have been built in protections to avoid the undermining of the US economy. Maybe that is what they had in mine, to get the US more in line with the rest of the world but IT'S KILLING US RIGHT NOW! My line of thinking is that it should have been blended in over a longer period of time. I'm in favor of helping our brothers in other countries but they must be held to a tight guideline to assure not to drive some countries into recession or even depression. This is not the only factor in driving us into what we are now facing but it is a part of it.

Things were bad already with the bursting of the housing bubble,then when stocks began to tank and speculators drove the price of oil to $150.00 a barrel ,it really hurt American car companies, especially GM since they relied heavily on big truck and SUV`s sales. The high price of oil continued to impact everything and has only come down now after a congressional investigation and the simple fact that businesses are closing daily and millions are unemployed. It would probably help if the entire American car industry was to go bankrupt and restructure without unions. That way America could produce a car entirely made in America that wasn`t 30% higher than every other comparable car made domestically or abroad.

Got to feel bad for the workers. But I wonder if it is a little greed to. They support their union bosses who won't budge on wages and benefits until 2011. Who will be left standing then? How good is your union rep if you don't have a job?

Nice company..Merry Christmas,now take the next month off WITHOUT pay:thebirdm::thebirdm:..no wonder i don't own any mopars younger then '70...

Stroked 340, you may not be reading that right. How many companies do you know of that lay off their employees with 85% of their pay? 85% of their pay is probably more than I made at 100% of mine, and they are not willing to negotiate, so I find it hard to feel sorry for them.

Yes, laid off autoworkers collect Unemployment "Insurance" and the car company must pay them up to 85% of their normal wages. With the two combined, they lose nothing at all. Not bad for not even clocking in at work.

Just thought I,d throw out my 2 cents.I,ve worked for Ford in Oakville,Ontario for 22 years.First I,m laid off from dec.15-jan19(70%) of wages which is unemployment and top up from union.All unemployment pay is payed back at end of year(make to much$$)still have to pay into it though.No real raisesfor last 6 years.gave up 40 hours holiday pay,pay portion of benifits.Up here in Canada Ford only wants line of credit to use for future economy(if it continues downward)2 billion witch is paid back,not given.U.S war cost TRILLIONS daily so I think 17 billion to keep millions of people working isn,t so bad.If you put 1 million people on unemployment= billions,instead of billions coming off there pay each week.I enjoy the time off to be with family and work on cars,but to much time off gets to be to much.If G.M would have re-structured say 5 years ago they would,nt be in this situation.All the auto makers are asking for money not just Big 3.How do you feel giving money to keep Toyota running??Thanks I,ve vented.Happy Holidays.Ford pays dick when I,m laid-off 40%unemployment-30%Union top up.Get the facts right.

Stroked 340, you may not be reading that right. How many companies do you know of that lay off their employees with 85% of their pay? 85% of their pay is probably more than I made at 100% of mine, and they are not willing to negotiate, so I find it hard to feel sorry for them.

Whoa..did'nt read that part,now i don't feel bad for them..:bootysha:

Fishbreath,unemployment and 85% of pay??What are you smoking??That is so untrue.Call any one company and you,ll get the right facts.It,s 70% then taxes so maybe 40-45% of take home pay.Fact.

No. Unemployment and up to 85% of pay. What tier are you in? Do you know that the contract was negotiated to tier newer employees pay, depending on when they started working? Apparently, the higher tier employees get the greater amount. Besides, when virtually all other workers get laid off, they get NOTHING, but Unemployment Insurance pay. Consider yourself fortunate in that regard. Where are the companies going to get the money to pay for this?

-
Back