Chrysler Marine engines

-

OL DODGE

Reaction score
A 1978 360 marine engine came up for sale recently and I was going to buy it -it supposedly was rebuilt not long ago and that got me to thinking-what kind of compression ratios did they have........it was definitely a 360 marine(special water pump and thermostat housing,etc...).
I passed on it because ,well,I don't have $$$ to spend on a chance. The guy wasn't keen on me pulling a head.....it was a recently running, he said.......

Be careful it's not reverse rotation. So far as I know a huge clue is a great big spacer under the distributor I doubt compression is very high. Marine engines are normally a "high load at medium RPM" IE torque and grunt

I know the 340s were low even though they got 318 heads. Dunno if the 360s also got 318 heads- if they did they're probably in the mid-upper 8:1 range. With the expense of the manifolds and oil pans for 360s, I'd be surprised if you're gonna get a deal on a Chrysler Marine anything over a car app.

I would love to have a set of water cooled 360 marine manifolds .

Specs and reverse rotation adaptor...................

Attachments

• ChryMar1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 269
  • ChryMar2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 301
  • ChryRevAdapt.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 275
I have a 440 marine reverse rotation, no problems so far with it, change the cam, polish the crank, get rid of the dizzy and spacer and put an electronic in and it runs great with 10 to 1's! Price was to good to pass up on.

When I worked at a Chrysler dealer in 1964, we received a tech bulletin concerning oil leaks at the crank seal on 318s. Several reverse rotation marine crankshafts were inadvertently installed in car engines and because a different pattern was used in the knurling process, oil was being drawn out past the seal rather than forced back inside the engine.

Not sure if this was something that affects other years, but it was true for '64 small blocks.

Hey jimjimjimmy, I called the guy tonite and he doesn.t have the exhaust manifolds- he said he has the bell housing,outdrive ,props -it came out of a 30 foot "Mainlander"(?) boat.
He still has the engine-It has a like new Eldebrock(I think "Torker") intake on it . I'm going to see if I can get more info on it..........

Not sure if this was something that affects other years, but it was true for '64 small blocks.

Just an FYI,
Hamtrack Historical has the TSB for the big blocks for '68.

Be careful it's not reverse rotation. So far as I know a huge clue is a great big spacer under the distributor I doubt compression is very high. Marine engines are normally a "high load at medium RPM" IE torque and grunt

Small blocks do not use a spacer under the distributors like the big blocks. I have a 68 Correct Craft with a 318 reverse rotation marine engine. I'd agree to check heads and most marine engines are made to run low octane gas. But the internals are as beefy as was available. Like you said "high load at medium RPM" all day long. I have a 440 marine short block with a forged shot peened crank.

Also keep in mine that if the marine engine was from a dual engine application, it may not be reverse rotation. In those applications, one engine turned counter clockwise, the other clockwise.

-
Back