Cigar lighter Question?

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
I'm hooking up the stock cigar lighter in my 72 Demon 340. It appears that all I have to do is run a 12v switched power @ 15 amp fuse for protection. I tested the socket with a 12V power supply and it worked fine. My question is how do I remove the socket from its holder? Also does anyone know the size of the nut for the "power" stud on the socket. I'm going to use it for a gps,phone charger ect.

Thanks
Tom

Actually the lighter is hot all the time via the push-on connector from the dash harness. It should be a red or possibly a pink wire with a connector that pushes onto the stud. A nut might thread on the power stud but not sure and you could certainly run a wire to a switched source in the fuse panel.

typical lighter well has a outer shell/sleeve/nut that screws on to draw it into a opening.
I'll assume the threaded center contact stud is 10-32 if American made.

Yeah, its a little L shaped boot that pushes onto the stud. The socket is held in by a large ring that goes around the whole socket, it can be a pain in the but to get loose because its just sheetmetal. Replacements are cheap too but keep in mind that the original grounds through the socket itself and some newer ones may or may not. I ran a ground wire to the dash just to be sure.

Thanks for the replies, I found the "L" shaped connector tucked up under the dash. It was on a "pink" wire, I just finished hooking it up and it is working fine. The wire looked a little on the thin side to me maybe @ 16-14 Gauge but seems to work fine. Now everything to do with dash is working.
Thanks again!!
Tom

-
Back