Cigarette lighters...

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
I have a 72 Demon that to my knowledge did not come with a cigarette lighter. There is a hole in the ashtray for where I can only assume that it would have gone, but no lighter.

Even though it doesn't look like it had one from the factory, would the wiring still be there? I remember seeing a loose connector in that area previously but can't recall the wire colors.

Does anyone sell repro lighters or an aftermarket one that would work with the stock mounting location? I'm not concerned with being 100% factory correct but if I can find a new/repro for a decent price I'd like to go that route.

I should also specify that I'm mainly talking about the receptacle and not the actual heating element/knob. I want to use it to charge my phone.

All auto parts stores sell them, because of the popularity of gps/cell phones most are sold as power outlets and don't come with a lighter element. The wiring should be there. It's a hot all the time red wire.

That wire may also be pink. Depends on model. It'll have the round female push on terminal.

Ok thanks.

This may be a stupid question but how exactly are they held in place? The ones at the auto parts store had an external threaded end which looked like all you would need is a nut to hold it against the ashtray cut out.

I have no idea what the original ones look like...

OK the original and 90% of those you see at the part store have a long, hollow sleeve over the outside that is screwed on those threads you see at the back end. Notice that sleeve has linear ridges for grip/ hand tighten.

"I have a 72 Demon that to my knowledge did not come with a cigarette lighter. There is a hole in the ashtray for where I can only assume that it would have gone, but no lighter."

You have to have a cigarette lighter in a A-body. How else are you going to smoke those left-over roaches?

OK the original and 90% of those you see at the part store have a long, hollow sleeve over the outside that is screwed on those threads you see at the back end. Notice that sleeve has linear ridges for grip/ hand tighten.

Ok that makes perfect sense thanks

-
Back