clamping springs..

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

i read about clamping the front segment of stock leaf type springs to improve their function during hard acceleration (drag racing :D). I´d like to do it, but have no idea what parts i should use to clamp.....can someone please explain the theory behind and show some pics? THANKS!

Michael

I don't have picks but you want to clamp the leafs together in front of the axle so the can't separate. I have a couple of flatbars that I bolted together.

My car hooks fine with 400hp without a pinion snubbed.

If you need I can probably post a pick later.

Hear's a few......

I should add that the bottom pic is what your trying to avoid.

Attachments

• 112232434.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 11112233.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 122.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 159
Clamping to front of the springs does not keep the leaves from seperating as was suggested. When the wheel rotates forward, the axle housing rotates in the opposite direction. It's one of the reasons a Chrysler spring has a shorter front segment and a longer rear segment. Refer to Rick's drawing. It effectively turns the front of the spring into a solid suspension link keeping pinion angle more stable. As Joe suggests, you can then fine tune with clamps on the rear segment of the spring. Or you can simply just try a clamp on the rear segment only. It's all about making it work for you.

Cool pic i found of the rear side at least partially unclamped......

Should also mention that if you have a raised ride height (Ex: S/S springs or heavy duty type) working a spring this way can run you out of shock travel and may require longer shocks or shock extentions.

Attachments

• 11111256.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 137
Cool pic i found of the rear side at least partially unclamped......

That's a good pic of a Mopar launch. If you go to the drags, take notice that most Mopars will rise on a launch while other brands will squat.

ok, now i got it! Thank you all. I´ll make 4 to 6 of these clamps and do some tests.

Thanks my FABO friends!

Michael

-
Back