Clank noise when put into reverse or when releasing throtel at high rpms in any gear

-

Scamp_attack

Reaction score
Hello all, I daily my 73 scamp with a 318 with a 3 speed automatic and recently there has been a fairly loud metal clank noise when I put the car into reverse or abruptly let of the throttle while moving. I'm thinking maybe it could be a bad yolk, broken u joint, loose transmission mounts? It's not the motor mounts. I'm just wondering if anyone else has an idea I might of missed. (I am aware that I could be something internally wrong in the tranny but I don't wana acknowledge that..yet O:)) it still shifts smoothly when shifting but only when accelerating, down shifts fine.. SOMETIMES.

If the clank ends with a creak, that's likely a U-joint, otherwise the sidegear to spider gear clearance in the 7.25 is probably excessive. If you stop now and tighten it up you may get a few more years out of her. But if you've been peg-legging it, she's probably done, cuz the next thing to go is the crosspin to case cradles. When they get "wallered" out, it's pretty much over.

Thanks for the info AJ/FormS , iv been peg legging it for a while... :banghead: haha even though it's my daily I only put about 21 miles a week on it. when I get home I'm going to check the play on the gears and then the crosspin to see if it's already shot. But if worst case scenario is putting a posi in a plymouth that's fine with me!

If your car is fairly quite drive it next to a wall with the windows down and listen for the eek eek eek of a dry and worn u-joint....

-
Back