Classic Air Glove Box Fix

-

72SwingerJosh

Reaction score
I am putting Classic Auto Air in my dart swinger and the glove box they give you doesn’t fit at all.

IMG_9390.jpeg

IMG_9389.jpeg

IMG_9388.jpeg

I saw other people modify cardboard ones to fit but I like the idea of a plastic one. So I went and found a used plastic oem one and cut off the first few inches of it and then I cut the junk one from classic auto air and screwed them together and did a test fit. After I got it all fitted together I glued them together with plastic weld. I cut the light lens hole in with a 1” hole saw and then I sanded the seems inside the box after the epoxy dried. Then I sprayed it with raptor bed liner. It filled in all the seems and it looks really nice. The bed liner will also hold up a lot better than paint.

IMG_9387.jpeg

IMG_9477.jpeg

IMG_9479.jpeg

IMG_9478.jpeg

IMG_9396.jpeg

IMG_9395.jpeg

IMG_9394.jpeg

Last edited:
My Dart is a 1972 so I had to get some screw clips from harbor freight so I could screw the later model glove box into the car.

Thank you for posting this – I am in the process of shopping around for an AC system to install into my 1969 Dart GTS 340 convertible. I have pretty much decided to go with the Classic industries system so based on your comments here and others that I have read I have a list of questions for Classic to make sure I get all the correct components and minimize grief and aggravation.

My Dart is a 1972 so I had to get some screw clips from harbor freight so I could screw the later model glove box into the car.

Thank you for posting this – I am in the process of shopping around for an AC system to install into my 1969 Dart GTS 340 convertible. I have pretty much decided to go with the Classic industries system so based on your comments here and others that I have read I have a list of questions for Classic to make sure I get all the correct components and minimize grief and aggravation.

I just recently finished a Classic Auto Air system, and it didn’t come with a glovebox replacement at all.

I just needed to trim about 1.5 inches off the lower rear corner of my original plastic box to clear the new under dash unit.
The hole gave a place to put the ecu.

IMG_5381.jpeg

I am putting Classic Auto Air in my dart swinger and the glove box they give you doesn’t fit at all.

View attachment 1716117329

View attachment 1716117330

View attachment 1716117331
I saw other people modify cardboard ones to fit but I like the idea of a plastic one. So I went and found a used plastic oem one and cut off the first few inches of it and then I cut the junk one from classic auto air and screwed them together and did a test fit. After I got it all fitted together I glued them together with plastic weld. I cut the light lens hole in with a 1” hole saw and then I sanded the seems inside the box after the epoxy dried. Then I sprayed it with raptor bed liner. It filled in all the seems and it looks really nice. The bed liner will also hold up a lot better than paint.

View attachment 1716117332

View attachment 1716117336

View attachment 1716117337

View attachment 1716117338

View attachment 1716117333

View attachment 1716117334

View attachment 1716117335

That's the best modified box I've seen yet. Well done.

The glove box they send with the unit obviously doesn't fit at all. I don't even know what they were thinking with that. There's ill fitting and then there's the classic auto air glove box which is in it's own league.

Did you tackle the driver side vent tube issue yet? If so I'd love to see how you have your hose routed back to the box.

I watched your Youtube video on the install. Well done, and now you're famous!!
Ha ha, not looking for famous or YouTube money either one.
Just hoping to give someone thinking of doing the job a heads up on what they might be getting themselves into.
But thanks for checking it out.
I wouldn’t mind a subscription if you feel inclined.

Mopars4us on YouTube.

That's the best modified box I've seen yet. Well done.

The glove box they send with the unit obviously doesn't fit at all. I don't even know what they were thinking with that. There's ill fitting and then there's the classic auto air glove box which is in it's own league.

Did you tackle the driver side vent tube issue yet? If so I'd love to see how you have your hose routed back to the box.

I have a fuse box, a parking brake handle, a keyless entry controller and a speaker all in that little area, so no.
I left that hose up under the dash pointing down and angled back a bit at the center of the hump.

When the unit is set for floor or dash vents it will just add air to the floor.

I did something similar to TrailBeast and modified a later model plastic glove box.
DSC04766.JPG
DSC04769.JPG

-
Back