Classic Auto Air in 67 Barracuda Factory Non AC

-
Nope, I was hoping for some pics of a successful solution before I take it on...

I'm working an idea for a tool that will allow me to bend the heater tubse without putting stress on the tubes as they go into the box. It just hasn't been high on my to do list.

Maybe we could all get together and write a good set of instructions with clearly labelled pictures and fixes for all the stuff that wouldn't fit/work and then market the rewritten instructions and some replacement or needed parts in a package. I would have paid gladly rather than figuring out all the fixes that I used. :lol:
Well, based on my personal experience, they would put those instructions in the poop can. As mentioned before, I spent HOURS drafting a multi-page document that pointed out all the mistakes / unclear text in their instructions and mailed it to them. I clearly told them that if they rewrote the instructions with my suggestions, they would get a LOT less calls to their tech guys. Crickets. I heard nothing at all from them. You'd think someone could have at least said thanks. Last time I looked, the instructions were the same.
I’m betting they won’t do **** with those improved instructions.

Just ask harrisonm….
You read my mind.
I am wondering if a nice Email from a FABO moderator like @Joeychgo or @toolmanmike would do any good. It could be very tactful and simply state that multiple FABO members were not happy with their product primarily because of the instructions and they might want to consider that. There is no argument that the unit works well once installed. You could send them a link to this thread.
I would even be willing to have you give them my contact information. I would be happy to talk to them. Yes, the tech guys are helpful when you call, but if you run into a problem due to crappy instructions at 8:00 at night or on the weekend, you are dead in the water. They might be receptive to that.

Well, based on my personal experience, they would put those instructions in the poop can. As mentioned before, I spent HOURS drafting a multi-page document that pointed out all the mistakes / unclear text in their instructions and mailed it to them. I clearly told them that if they rewrote the instructions with my suggestions, they would get a LOT less calls to their tech guys. Crickets. I heard nothing at all from them. You'd think someone could have at least said thanks. Last time I looked, the instructions were the same.

You read my mind.
I am wondering if a nice Email from a FABO moderator like @Joeychgo or @toolmanmike would do any good. It could be very tactful and simply state that multiple FABO members were not happy with their product primarily because of the instructions and they might want to consider that. There is no argument that the unit works well once installed. You could send them a link to this thread.
I would even be willing to have you give them my contact information. I would be happy to talk to them. Yes, the tech guys are helpful when you call, but if you run into a problem due to crappy instructions at 8:00 at night or on the weekend, you are dead in the water. They might be receptive to that.
I already gave them a link to this thread. I also found out that it is very unlikely that they are making any part of this. A local auto air place said the unit looks just like a Vintage box. I suspect that the unit is universal, only the brackets are unique to each body style and make.

Nope, I was hoping for some pics of a successful solution before I take it on...

I think I have two possible solutions.

I'm putting it in a 68 Barracuda and the steering column is out. I believe the hose will fit above the steering column and in between the brackets in the dash right above the column. The hose will definitely get squished, possibly by 30-50% but I think it would work. I test fitted it with the bracket that holds the column up to the dash and it fit decently around the bracket. Estimating the steering column in there and I think it would work. I'll get a hand from a friend to test fit so I can prove the concept.

This wouldn't work on my 71 Duster. The dash is designed differently above the column and there wouldn't be any room.

Solution #2 would involve a 1" (possibly 1.25" or 1.5") PVC pipe that runs above the brackets above the column and under the wiper linkage. One end facing the driver side, the other facing the passenger side. Attach the pipe in there to the bracket so it's stationary and the wiper linkage doesn't interfere with the pipe. Put pvc adapters on each end to get closer to the size of the ducting hose and cut the ducting hose in half and attach one from the AC vent to the pipe and the other from the other side of the pipe to the box.

Both restrict air flow. I'm not sure how you could do it without restricting the flow unless you ran it underneath the column, which would look tacky.

So I think I posted this earlier in this thread. I tried to put the hose above the brackets and when I turned on the windshield wipers the arms grabbed the hose and pulled it back and forth - the unexpected issue was the hose pulling on wires under the dash and shutting off half of the power in the car whenever I turned on the wipers (in the rain, while driving down the road - EEEEKKK!!!!).

I'm hoping that solution #2 works - the pvc would be smooth and smaller so there wouldn't be anything for the arms to grab on...

So I think I posted this earlier in this thread. I tried to put the hose above the brackets and when I turned on the windshield wipers the arms grabbed the hose and pulled it back and forth - the unexpected issue was the hose pulling on wires under the dash and shutting off half of the power in the car whenever I turned on the wipers (in the rain, while driving down the road - EEEEKKK!!!!).

I'm hoping that solution #2 works - the pvc would be smooth and smaller so there wouldn't be anything for the arms to grab on...

I'm going to just smash mine right above the steering column. Looks like I'll have 40-50% air flow if I do that and I don't have to worry about rigging anything up with PVC. I test fitted it this weekend and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I'll see if a little trimming in there might get me some extra flow.

It looks like a 1 1/4" PVC pipe would work if you go that route. Where you would have to get creative is the attachment from the 2" duct to the pipe. You'll need to either run a 45 or 90 degree elbow down with an adapter to make the pipe bigger on each end to be able to attach the duct. There's not a whole lot of room on the driver side to make this happen but with some creative test fitting, you should be able to get it done. You'll definitely need the gauge bezel removed to do this.

I would zip tie the pipe in place and run the wipers and see if the linkage clears it. Once you find the spot where it clears, permanently attach it and you shouldn't have to worry about interference there again. Just think about future servicing while you're doing it. Will your duct to PVC attachment points be easy enough to get to without major surgery in the future?

I'm going to just smash mine right above the steering column. Looks like I'll have 40-50% air flow if I do that and I don't have to worry about rigging anything up with PVC. I test fitted it this weekend and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I'll see if a little trimming in there might get me some extra flow.

It looks like a 1 1/4" PVC pipe would work if you go that route. Where you would have to get creative is the attachment from the 2" duct to the pipe. You'll need to either run a 45 or 90 degree elbow down with an adapter to make the pipe bigger on each end to be able to attach the duct. There's not a whole lot of room on the driver side to make this happen but with some creative test fitting, you should be able to get it done. You'll definitely need the gauge bezel removed to do this.

I would zip tie the pipe in place and run the wipers and see if the linkage clears it. Once you find the spot where it clears, permanently attach it and you shouldn't have to worry about interference there again. Just think about future servicing while you're doing it. Will your duct to PVC attachment points be easy enough to get to without major surgery in the future?

Sounds like the perfect project for someone that likes to 3D print stuff....Not me, just pointing out it out.

Someone could probably get pretty creative with the crossover tube and add clearances for the wipers to swing without restricting airflow too much. And then transition to a 2" tube on the ends.

Sounds like the perfect project for someone that likes to 3D print stuff....Not me, just pointing out it out.

Someone could probably get pretty creative with the crossover tube and add clearances for the wipers to swing without restricting airflow too much. And then transition to a 2" tube on the ends.

I brain farted on smashing it above the steering column. It could still be done but then you'd have to reduce it to get by the e brake. My brake is out right now so I wasn't accounting for it at the time.

Going to pick up some pipe and adapters at home depot and see what I can figure out. Shouldn't be too bad. Will look ghetto but it's not like anyone will ever see it.

edit - 1" PVC is real tight. I think I can make it work with a little bit of grinding and perfect positioning. Go with the thin wall stuff if you're going to attempt this. More air flow.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to figure out why my damn evaporator keeps on freezing up after about an hour of operation…
I had the same problem, the evap thermostat is junk it will not open the contacts and the evap freezes up (chyna made junk). I solved mines by using a digital adjustable thermostat. I set the temp I want and the dead band and it cycles perfect. You can watch the evap get to target temp, relay drops out, temp rises, relay pulls in and no evap freeze up, here is a link to one similar to the one I used.
Amazon product ASIN B076Y5BXD9

I don't know if this will be successful or not but this is what I've got. It's really close to the wiper linkage but doesn't make contact. Also can't use the fresh air vent with this method but I never use them anyway.

My main concern is actually the speedo cable. I think it's going to block its ability to go into the speedo straight but I'll find out when it's time.

IMG_20230825_195409624_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230825_195428115_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230825_195458724_HDR.jpg

Has anyone had trouble installing the factory radio in with the Classic Auto Air box being in the way? The thumbwheel radio on my 68 Barracuda has zero chance of fitting in there.

Has anyone had trouble installing the factory radio in with the Classic Auto Air box being in the way? The thumbwheel radio on my 68 Barracuda has zero chance of fitting in there.
I'm not that far into it, yet. I also haven't decided what I'm going to do as far as a radio goes.

Thanks my radio didn't work anyway so I didn't feel too bad about cutting out the back corner of it. I needed a good inch and a half clearance.

-
Back