Classic Auto Air kit in a 74 Duster.

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Has anyone ever installed a Classic Auto Air kit in a 74 Duster? They say that it only fits 67 to 72 A bodies, but I thought it might be possible to make it work in my 74.

Anyone know?

I have Classic Auto in my 71. Purchased mine over 2 years ago. It needed a bit of changing to fit cause they used a 68 barracuda for a template and the radiator saddle area was a bit different. I know there were a few changes after I bought mine to make it a little more universal. (Some hoses instead of hardlines).
I suggest call and ask them why it won't fit and see if you have the ability to make any needed changes.

I have it in my 67

I had to modify the control some

so much for perfect fit, but overall a good system. I'm sure they will work with you, give them a call

I talked to the company in Tampa about my 74 Dart Sport A/C Car.........

They said the parts to convert the car would come to about $675. total if I put them in myself..........The whole kit wasn't needed..........

I haven't installed it yet, but when we do, I'll post a progressive thread on it.

But to answer directly, yes they will work on the later models......CALL them and tell them exactly what you have, they'll question you a bit on it, and then they'll put together a kit just for your car. 8)

The big difference in year model is controller head and plenim servos.
Aftermarket is pretty straight forward in cars that didn't come with factory air. When aftermarket is married to or combined with factory a/c components you find the devil in the details. I'm sure the vendor can sort it for you in any a-body.
Personally I'd prefer using all the factory stuff from a donor car to add air except for the big ugly RV2 compumper.

I have not found a donor car in a quite a bit of searching. I think I am going to try the kit, I will post the details.

2 things to remember

The firewalls are different between A/C and non A/C cars.

I think it was in 73 the A/C firewall was changed. The 73 thru 76 A/C cars have the heater hoses come thru between the A/C lines and the wiper motor.
Basically reversed from earlier years.

-
Back