Classic Auto Air update 3/28/2024

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
AC charge failure as system would not pressure up the hi pressure side.
Unit comes back out to change the expansion valve.
CAA sent a new expansion valve, and it made no difference.
Now they say it’s a bad compressor, and to mail it back and they will send a replacement compressor after they get this one back.
15 pound package mail to Texas at my own expense, as they don’t give prepaid shipping labels.
The return guy is going to be out of the office until this coming Tues.
This means about two weeks before I get the new compressor.
Three cans of R134 wasted on 2 different times of diagnosing.

In the meantime, my car is all dismantled.
Just to make myself feel better I’m going to put the car all back together except for the compressor.

This is the longest my daily driver Dart has been down since I’ve owned it.

I get that s**t happens and sometimes strains our patients and I’m dealing with it.
Still pretty pissed/annoyed with the whole thing.

I’ll feel better when I get it back where I can at least drive it again, so that’s where I’m headed.

This isn’t me, it’s a pic of my youngest Son when he saw someone wearing the same shirt, but it sure shows how I feel about all this.

IMG_2761.jpeg

You can pick these units up cheap. Self contained
1711654308026.png

This is not me, Its my neighbors son, He's a goalie for a Dart team
1711654555016.jpeg

Welcome to the wild world of Classic Auto Air!!!!

I just hope that a few years down the line (of trouble free cool air) we will both be able to think this was a good investment overall.

Welcome to the wild world of Classic Auto Air!!!!

I just hope that a few years down the line (of trouble free cool air) we will both be able to think this was a good investment overall.

Absolutely, that’s I was thinking.
There’s no flipping way an average car guy is going get through this install on his own.
One of the issues I had was there not being the available spacers in the kit to put the compressor where it needed to be for belt alignment.
One would think the smallblock Chysler specific kit would, but noooo.
I needed to come up with two 5/8 long spacers to get it in perfect alignment with the bottom pulley and idler.

Do yourself a favor.. If they don't include one pick up a new receiver/dryer cause after opening the system the old one will be toast..

Chalk me up as a very dissatisfied Classic Auto Air customer as well.
What do I have in this thing now? $2000-2200? And it’s blown cold one frickin day!

Classic Auto Air doesn't make any of the compressor brackets themselves. They source the brackets from BPE. Classic Auto Air is not gonna help with any belt alignment, belt squealing, or any other type of compressor install issues. Up to the installer to modify it to make it work.

Chalk me up as a very dissatisfied Classic Auto Air customer as well.
What do I have in this thing now? $2000-2200? And it’s blown cold one frickin day!

Well that sucks big time.
Any idea what happened?

Classic Auto Air doesn't make any of the compressor brackets themselves. They source the brackets from BPE. Classic Auto Air is not gonna help with any belt alignment, belt squealing, or any other type of compressor install issues. Up to the installer to modify it to make it work.

They told me that about the brackets, and looking at my invoice I told them someone is paying way too much for them.
You could cut 50 of those out with a water jet in less than an hour.
Belt routing looks great as it only involves the bottom pulley, compressor and idler with belt contact of close to 50% circumference on the lower and compressor.
Questioning the belt quality, but we’ll see.
I can always get a better belt.

Well that sucks big time.
Any idea what happened?

They told me that about the brackets, and looking at my invoice I told them someone is paying way too much for them.
You could cut 50 of those out with a water jet in less than an hour.
Belt routing looks great as it only involves the bottom pulley, compressor and idler with belt contact of close to 50% circumference on the lower and compressor.
Questioning the belt quality, but we’ll see.
I can always get a better belt.
The brackets they sold me the belt uses the PS pump groove in crank. So belt wraps around crank, compressor, PS pump. One long belt that reduces belt wrap around pulleys compared to the factory '69 AC setup which the Original Air kit is supposed to be catered too. Frequently confused with the '70 and up small block cars which are completely different. So near guaranteed belt squeal due to insufficient belt wrap. Threads around to address the '70 and up kits belt squeals but nothing no one anything on the '69 and back set ups no one knows anything.

I guess I could call Classic Auto Air get put on hold for 45 minutes again, then get told they are not lifting a finger to help.

So now if I want to have a dedicated crank and compressor belt like factory '69 small block had I am on my own to fab something up.

The aftermarket leaves us high and dry on our own figure it out ourselves make it work deal with it. So I am prepared for a major can of worms ahead.

The brackets they sold me the belt uses the PS pump groove in crank. So belt wraps around crank, compressor, PS pump. One long belt that reduces belt wrap around pulleys compared to the factory '69 AC setup which the Original Air kit is supposed to be catered too. Frequently confused with the '70 and up small block cars which are completely different. So near guaranteed belt squeal due to insufficient belt wrap. Threads around to address the '70 and up kits belt squeals but nothing no one anything on the '69 and back set ups no one knows anything.

I guess I could call Classic Auto Air get put on hold for 45 minutes again, then get told they are not lifting a finger to help.

So now if I want to have a dedicated crank and compressor belt like factory '69 small block had I am on my own to fab something up.

The aftermarket leaves us high and dry on our own figure it out ourselves make it work deal with it. So I am prepared for a major can of worms ahead.

Have you considered an idler that runs on the back of the belt to help with the belt wrap?

Have you considered an idler that runs on the back of the belt to help with the belt wrap?
Yep, the original '69 crank to compressor belt has an idler on each side. I have the original idlers and an extra original AC mount bracket I can hack up if need be. So when I get to it in another two months or so will be looking to use a dedicate crank/compressor belt like '69 and back small blocks used with idlers. Kicking the can down the road for now cause car not assembled yet from floor replace 6 spd swap. So will circle back to AC quagmire can of worms two months out or so....

Yep, the original '69 crank to compressor belt has an idler on each side. I have the original idlers and an extra original AC mount bracket I can hack up if need be. So when I get to it in another two months or so will be looking to use a dedicate crank/compressor belt like '69 and back small blocks used with idlers. Kicking the can down the road for now cause car not assembled yet from floor replace 6 spd swap. So will circle back to AC quagmire can of worms two months out or so....

Maybe consider getting the add on lower pulley like came with my setup?
It puts the compressor and idler out in front of all the other belts and dedicates a belt for the AC alone with good belt wrap.
Just a thought.

I assume you would need the compressor bracket for a non factory AC car for this to work.
I will post a pic of this setup in a bit.

IMG_5257.jpeg

Maybe consider getting the add on lower pulley like came with my setup?
It puts the compressor and idler out in front of all the other belts and dedicates a belt for the AC alone with good belt wrap.
Just a thought.

I assume you would need the compressor bracket for a non factory AC car for this to work.
I will post a pic of this setup in a bit.

View attachment 1716228425
That a good setup they gave you. I would have to hassle with Classic Auto Air to swap bracket setups, exchange it for the one they gave you. I would also have to chase down a '69 and back original two groove crank pulley which is not reproduced. '69 and back small block pulleys are red headed step children. The idler in your kit may also need modding to work with '69 cast iron water pump. But your suggestion is good.

Do you have a part number for the bracket kit they sent you?

That a good setup they gave you. I would have to hassle with Classic Auto Air to swap bracket setups, exchange it for the one they gave you. I would also have to chase down a '69 and back original two groove crank pulley which is not reproduced. '69 and back small block pulleys are red headed step children. The idler in your kit may also need modding to work with '69 cast iron water pump. But your suggestion is good.

Do you have a part number for the bracket kit they sent you?

They asked if I had aluminum or cast water pump, so the bracket may be different, but I show 0022-4 on the compressor bracket.

Of course I am sending my compressor back, but this is the setup.
Oh, and the bracket was already scratched up.
They said they all come that way.

IMG_5353.jpeg

IMG_5352.jpeg

IMG_5351.jpeg

This is my solution to the situation. But it has only been started, not run on the road yet. I used Buchillion down low passenger side brackets. I have not charged system. I may have to change out bottom pulley as right now there is only one belt.

$0.02

And of course.... not a small block, but .....

I hope your situation gets better @TrailBeast. Its pretty cool () that your ride is used so regularly.

20201207_111707.jpg

20201207_120331.jpg

20201207_110903.jpg

20201220_221642.jpg

20201220_221653.jpg

20201207_113224.jpg

20201207_104426.jpg

20201207_110842.jpg

They asked if I had aluminum or cast water pump, so the bracket may be different, but I show 0022-4 on the compressor bracket.

Of course I am sending my compressor back, but this is the setup.
Oh, and the bracket was already scratched up.
They said they all come that way.

View attachment 1716228462

View attachment 1716228463

View attachment 1716228464
I might be able to use that bracket as a starting point and mod off set to work with original AC crank third groove. Thats a potential option.

Absolutely, that’s I was thinking.
There’s no flipping way an average car guy is going get through this install on his own.
One of the issues I had was there not being the available spacers in the kit to put the compressor where it needed to be for belt alignment.
One would think the smallblock Chysler specific kit would, but noooo.
I needed to come up with two 5/8 long spacers to get it in perfect alignment with the bottom pulley and idler.
Frustrating for sure. I have a Vintage A/C setup. The guy who assembled my engine spent about 8 hours trying the pile of different spacers to get things lined up. He said the instructions were minimal and what they sent was a box of spacers & bolts with a diagram of how to route the belt. The install is not for the faint of heart. I am not thrilled by the fact that the setup only allows for one belt to go around the crank/compressor/alternator. It squealed terribly at first then I changed to belt to a "top cog" type that fixed it. Would much rather have two belts like the OE setup had.

This is my solution to the situation. But it has only been started, not run on the road yet. I used Buchillion down low passenger side brackets. I have not charged system. I may have to change out bottom pulley as right now there is only one belt.

$0.02

And of course.... not a small block, but .....

I hope your situation gets better @TrailBeast. Its pretty cool () that your ride is used so regularly.

View attachment 1716228468

View attachment 1716228469

View attachment 1716228470

View attachment 1716228471

View attachment 1716228472

View attachment 1716228473

View attachment 1716228474

View attachment 1716228475
How were you able to keep both pieces of that pulley concentric when you welded them back together?

Frustrating for sure. I have a Vintage A/C setup. The guy who assembled my engine spent about 8 hours trying the pile of different spacers to get things lined up. He said the instructions were minimal and what they sent was a box of spacers & bolts with a diagram of how to route the belt. The install is not for the faint of heart. I am not thrilled by the fact that the setup only allows for one belt to go around the crank/compressor/alternator. It squealed terribly at first then I changed to belt to a "top cog" type that fixed it. Would much rather have two belts like the OE setup had.

If this kit involved the alternator I would want the 2 belt setup as well.
The belt that came with mine seems kind of soft.
I’ll probably have to get a better one. (Gates)

If this kit involved the alternator I would want the 2 belt setup as well.
The belt that came with mine seems kind of soft.
I’ll probably have to get a better one. (Gates)
My belt was kinda hard. Maybe it was sitting on the hook in the auto parts place a long time. The top cog was a bit softer and seems to have more grip.

How were you able to keep both pieces of that pulley concentric when you welded them back together?
I chucked it (the pulley) up in the drill press and "set" my arm so the 4" cutoff wheel hit the peice at the bottom of the transition.

So basically i got lucky.

Then i used the water pump to get it to be straight as i tacked it.

I had an extra pulley in case i screwed up. Lucky bastard i am.

Thanks fer noticing.

you can look at my thread elsewhere here, But I ended changing the crank pulley and moving my whole PS pump and, AND the whole alternator and brackets 1/2 forward and finding a factory water pump pulley to move that groove 1/2 inch forward so that I could line everything up and use 2 belts on the alternator, crank and immovable compressor. It all seems to work fine now, but like Trailbeast said - not for Joe Average bolt on mechanic. Like I said before, I just hope that it all works for a long time after all this.

Trailbeast - did your set up come with an electric water shut off valve?

Up to the installer to modify it to make it work.
... and doesn't that just suck - Perfect Fit my a$$.

-
Back