Classic car Hobby under attack

-
I wonder if the writer ever noticed a lot of much newer front drivers or minivans driving around on their space saver/ emergency tires?
My personal favorites are those with the microspare on a drive wheel. May as well drain the transaxle to further reduce the time it takes to cook it.

In Pa, if you have classic plates you still require a yearly safety inspection. I have a 73 Swinger, but because I glassed in the sixpac scoop I can't do either classic or antique. THere are people out there thatget that antique tag and never look back. BUT...there are people who invest the tons of money and drive like sensible adults and take the time to verify that these vehicles are safe.

Heres what I wrote him--------95 percent of the people that own antique cars probably have more invested than most new cars,the most common upgrades are brakes,tires and suspension,the reason they dont track the accidents is because there is not enough accidents to even acknowledge them,as for the motorcycle blow out all you would have to do is look at the tire to see if it was worn out , very unlikely it was the original tire from 1974 LoL

He has been emailed.

Watchdog,

I have to admit that I usually don't get involved in such matters but this is totally wrong. I have a 67 Plymouith Barracuda and it is by no means in the condition that just you make classic cars sound. It has brand new tires, motor, trans, brake lights, headlights, you name it. Our cars would pass any inspection without no trouble. We muscle car enthusiasts have spent a lot of money on our hobby and these cars are in great condition. Now if you are talking about cars that have been pulled out of the woods, throw a battery and some gas, and put it on the road I could understand. But we have basically rebuilt our cars from the ground up. We have spent a lot of time, blood, and sweat on building. You shouldn't comment on things unless you know more about it. You speak of the motorcycle tire blowing a tire and glad no other was around... have you ever seen a semi-truck tire explode on the interstate? I bet you have or have seen the tire debris laying on the side of the road so should we stay "afar" from them? I don't think so you can't drive five miles on the interstate without getting passed or pass one. And they run under strict conditions. The transportation police stay on them pretty hard from my understanding. And what about all the cars running around on the temporary spare over 50 mph? See you type people try to take the fun things out of life. When you wrote that article you have people thinking that we car enthusiasts are horrible people. Why do you do such things? I believe you owe us car enthusiasts another article explaining how off the wall wrong you was and a apology!

Here would be a good place to start http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44692

Marland Mullinax

It's everywhere! Even here in Reno where we have the worlds biggest block party there are idiots that complain about "those old junkers"! It seems that here there is an inordinate amount of horse people who want all the old cars off the road but ride their animals up and down the streets leaving piles every where! Luckily, our Hot August Nights gathering brings so much money into the local coffers that the city fathers don't dare say anything. They put and old car ordinance into effect here but they are having a tough time enforcing it because of the Ex Post Facto clause of the Constitutions, both state and federal. I, of course, do my part about spreading that information! LOL Guys elsewhere, you have my sympathy. Mike

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share a story in a local newspaper from an ignorant writer attacking our hobby/life. You may not be local to the Lehigh Valley or Pennsylvania, but these kinds of attacks go on all over and affect ALL OF US!!! I like to ask you send your thoughts to this “author”.

You can read the article at
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/watchdog/all5dog0921.6592257sep21,0,4055090.story

I can assure you that there are A LOT of people upset over this article.
I'm a retired police officer from Allentown, PA. I learned a long time ago: Don't read the Morning Call.

Sent him an email -

"We'll await your follow up report on the death of good reporting at the hands of whiney "journalists" with too much free time."

This is what I sent him.....

Sir

I just read your story questioning the safety and streetability of Classic Cars, and I have to tell you you don't have much grasp of the hobby.

First, we in the hobby are the original recyclers. Instead of tons of old car parts going in to land fills etc. "WE" salvage these cars and parts. "WE" also pump many hundreds of thousands of hard earned dollars in to our economy. "WE" have created jobs from the need for restoration parts and services. I personally have spent over $2000 in upgrades and improvements in the last two weeks on one of my cars.

"WE" also take care of our cars, because they aren't just cars, they are our loves and investments. "WE" invest thousands of DOLLARS and HOURS in to the restorations of our cars. "WE" also maintain our cars better than cars that are 5-7 years old. If you do some research, you will find the biggest polluters on the road are the cars that are 5-7 years old. Those cars have hit the bottom of their values, and are merely "transportation" to those driving them. They don't spend the time and money to keep them in tip top shape. And THESE are the cars being driven daily.

"OUR" cars, on the other hand, are driven sparingly. They are maintained. Most in the hobby wouldn't be see out in their car if it's dripping fluids, or has bald tires, leaking exhaust, or even squeaky brakes. They are even kept CLEANER than other cars on the road. You never see one with a broken windshield or bulbs that are out.

So before you question the quality, safety, driveability, of these "older" cars look around. Do some research. Go to a couple of shows/cruises. TALK to the owners. Ask how much time and money they've put in their cars. Then for grins, ask a few people driving those 5-7 year old cars how much maintenance THEY'VE done lately. I'm sure your opinion will change.

So there are acording to this article 122,000 antique plates registered in Pennslvania and 2 accidents recorded since 1992, sounds like the Fed. Govt. should step in and clean this travisty of justice up. That dude is an idiot and reading his drival has wasted 5 min of my time I'll never get back:wack:

I think they should take all cars built after 1980 off the road and make it a law that if you cant fix it your self you cant drive it.

Amen to that. I myself drive a 96 Ram every day and I also drive a 33 ford at least 2 times a week for my friend while he is on his business trips. I being from Pa find execptional disturbance in this wet behind the ear reporter when he refers to these cars as just "cars". The 33 is washed at least once a week waxed every 3 weeks it goes to every single show it can and typically wins same with the truck. As far as them being unsafe I bet the 33 is safer then any other car on the road due to the fact that it has a cage that is hidden behind the leather upholstery, double reinforced frame rails and every single safety item he could fit into it other then a cocoon system. hell Around where I go to school I see college kids with Ferrari's and lambo's that leak oil grind gears have cigarette burns all over them and they just don't care. sorry rant over

We do not have an inspection down here were I live and I am good with that. I feel that if you buy it they do what you want or not want to with it. As long as it does not cause anyone else any harm I am good with it. I do not see were we need the government to impose an inspection tax on everyone.

Our Police officers are trained to notice problems with cars and our GDOT does a great job with trucks and such throughout the state. You will get a ticket down here for bald tires, lights out and other safety problems but they let us drive our cars and enjoy them. And yes if an officer notices a car with a mini spare on it more than a few days they will get pulled over and told to replace it with a written warning. I am thankful that I live here and not in a state that tries to copy Englands MOT crap.

-
Back