Classic car insurance with a motorcycle as your "regular use vehicle"?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
So I'm supposed to pick up a 1970 duster on Thursday. I was looking at insurance for it and want to get classic car insurance, like what Hagerty offers. But Hagerty requires that you have another vehicle registered for regular use, and it can't be a motorcycle.

My primary method of transportation is my motorcycle. I have a car that is under my dad's name and on his insurance, but I barely ever drive it. Probably under 3,000 miles in the past two years. My motorcycle IS my "regular use vehicle", and the duster is not going to replace it (I want to restore the duster and it will see some local in-town use, but not much, for at least the next year).

So I need to find an insurance company that either offers classic car insurance when your regular use vehicle is a motorcycle, or does not require a registered regular use vehicle. Otherwise it doesn't even save me anything to get the classic insurance because then I would need to pay insurance on another car listed as a regular use vehicle that I would never use in the first place.

Another alternative is to have the duster insured in my dad's name too but I'd rather have it all in my name.

Suggestions?

May not be apply to your needs, but I have full coverage on a 2001 p/u for $400 yr considered limited use, I'm allowed to run up 7,500 miles a year. I work out of state 9-10 months a year and it sits in my shop during this time.

You might want to inquire with your regular insurance provider.

How old are you?

Just about every classic insurance company will require…..

You be over 25.

The car be stored in a locked garage.

You to have a 2nd car as a primary driver.

That is why the prices are low.

I doubt you will be able to get classic car insurance at that age anyway….

Contact the companies and ask about their age requirement.

These guys will insure you at 20 years of age.

http://www.americancollectors.com/

They ask for the primary daily driver when you register. I would tell them what you use and see what they say. I would keep the other car as a backup plan as your daily driver. My kids (he is 20) 71 Duster I insured for $75.00 per year.

Craig

-
Back