Classic industries radiators are crap

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
i spent 400 bucks on a four row radiator for my barracuda only to get cheap radiator that leaks after four months from the core. First the holes don't even line up on the bottom of the radiator second it doesn't even cool that well. My friend also bought one for his valiant the core was way too big could barely get his fan on. I have gotten better radiators that were 50 years old at the junkyard that still don't leak going ten years plus. For 400 bucks I could of bought three aluminum radiators and then still have change. They say it's original fit my *** I paid good money for Mickey Mouse and Donald ducks Direct fit

Griffin. Nuff said.

But whenever I recommend Griffin, somebody always cries about price. You paid the Griffin price. Look what you got.

Yup got smoke blown up my a$$

You ever heard the old sayin "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"?

Just don't make the same mistake twice. It's all good if we learn from our mistakes. I know you can get a Griffin universal radiator cheaper than 400. You might can get a bolt in and go one for around that. Sure worth lookin into.

Good luck, man.

You ever heard the old sayin "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"?

Just don't make the same mistake twice. It's all good if we learn from our mistakes. I know you can get a Griffin universal radiator cheaper than 400. You might can get a bolt in and go one for around that. Sure worth lookin into.

Good luck, man.
Yeah thanks won't scam me twice I hope this thread help someone in the future. If your car is a garage queen maybe it will last a year who knows but if it's a daily driver tire smoker won't last a season

Dang. I've have a new one still in the box I've been keeping for my build. Yes a four core. :(

Dang I just bought the 2 core aluminum one from them. I hope it doesn't leak

I would like to suggest somethings because I for one am happy that we at least have choices.
I don't want you to be stuck with a 400 dollar radiator. But then again, 400 dollars really a large amount considering the materials and labor in a brass radiator?

1. Look at the "variety" of parts that are required to repair our cars and the Classic catalog. In many cases the vendors simply go by what the manufacturer tells them. And they get it wrong.

2. Does your radiator not come with a warranty? Even if it doesn't I would think that after only 4 months if you called Classic and were reasonable sounding, they would stand behind this defect.
For example, I would be more than willing to pay return shipping myself for a replacment.

3. I bet if you call Classic, one option they will suggest is to have the radiator repaired locally on their dime. I mean, is there really any point in paying the shipping I mentioned? I have a good radiator shop close to me and that is something I would certainly consider doing.

4. Lastly, I had a good experience with Classic on a radiator. Considering the amount of time before I found it was the incorrect radiator they could have told me to stuff it.
But they worked with me to get the right radiator a no charge.

I believe it is sad we have so many poorly made parts, period.

Th rerason OLD OEM 40 year old radiators do not repair well is the materials deteriorate over all those years. That is what I have been told by radiator men that have done this for decades. So I would take it to a good old time shop IF you can find one. They are a dying breed.

I believe it is sad we have so many poorly made parts, period.

Th rerason OLD OEM 40 year old radiators do not repair well is the materials deteriorate over all those years. That is what I have been told by radiator men that have done this for decades. So I would take it to a good old time shop IF you can find one. They are a dying breed.

Agree w/ RRR on the griffin. I`ve got a 2 row, 1 1/4" tube 28x19 crossflow griffin in my 68 fastback. The horse power formula that a couple of engine builders were bragging on HERE, last week says my 440/505 is 723 h.p., it creates a lot of under hood heat. I dropped the car off the floor jack a couple of yrs, ago, and bent the front splash pan and radiator up in the center , about an 1 1/2", the rad. is still that way, I straightened everything else out before painting the car. Rad. hasn`t leaked a drop so far ! ''FINGERS CROSSED". No epoxy in the griffin either .

i thought Griffin rads had the tube to tank joints furnace brazed and then the joints were epoxy coated on top of that? Isn't that why Ford recognizes them as warranty replacements?
That's how the Griffin rad in my dart is.
A friend bought a "Northern" rad and the fins fell out like snowflakes after one year...but that is just one.
I would like to see a number of failures before i give a product a life sentence.
I think 4 core rads are less efficient than 3 core...they are just too thick.

The first four core I bought from Classic Industries developed a pinhole leak after a few months. They paid to take it to a radiator shop for repair. After a couple of months, the solder joint at the top tank split open. Sent it back to Classic Industries. Didn't get a replacement for a month as US Radiator only builds them in batches as they need them. Now, the replacement radiator has separated where it is soldered at the top. Praying the solder doesn't fail at the tank again.

image.jpg

-
Back