Clay bar,how to

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
The paint on the Dart is now 3 years old,and needs to be clay bared.I have never done this and seen some videos on u tube on how to do it.Thing is they dont say when the bar is done,I see it geting dirty but when is the bar toast.So please feel free to share pointers on how to do this job right.Thankssssssss

I've used te same clay bar over a few times. I bought a clay bar kit from O'Rileys, it was made by McGuires. Worked exellent. You just have to knead the clay every once in a while as you use it.

Ive been using the same clay bars for over a year. When your done claying the car or feel the bar is dirty run it under hot tap water and keep folding it in to itself. You can fold some car wash soap into it as well...

I've used mine several times and still have it. Just knead it frequently and do not drop it on the ground.

Ok great guys that's almost enough for me to get started.So what is the advantage of doing the claybar? outer than removing grit, in the end will it help with polishing and giving a better shine.

Its will pull any contaminants off of the top coat. Even if your going to buff it, clay it first you will get a much better shine and that real smooth finish. You also dont need to use the spay that comes with the kits. You can use soapy water

We wash the cars then with fresh soapy water clay one panel at a time. Lots of suds and water will keep it well lubricated and keep you from marring the finish.

Its will pull any contaminants off of the top coat. Even if your going to buff it, clay it first you will get a much better shine and that real smooth finish. You also dont need to use the spay that comes with the kits. You can use soapy water

We wash the cars then with fresh soapy water clay one panel at a time. Lots of suds and water will keep it well lubricated and keep you from marring the finish.

Big 10 4 Adam,so If I was to say have a bucket with hot soapy water go at it like that is that cool.Thanks your reply is the best tech so far u know your stuff.

Correct. We clay every detail at my shop.

we start by foaming the entire car up, We you one of those plant feeder you hood to your garden house but instead of plant food fill the jar with soapy water. It will make lots of suds, Suds up the entire car and let it sit for a minute or 2. That will help loosen stuck on dirt, rinse the car off. Then wash the car with a clean mitt. Start at the top of the car and work your way down. Use 2 buckets, 1 with soapy water, one with clean water to rinse your sponge with.

Rinse the entire car again. Now take your soapy sponge and one panel at a time soap it up and start claying. Kneed the clay bar often, If you drop it toss it.

Seems like a lot of pre washing but it will keep you from rubbing a gritty clay bat across your paint. Your is probably pretty clean though so you can skip the foaming step.

Big 10 4 Adam,so If I was to say have a bucket with hot soapy water go at it like that is that cool.Thanks your reply is the best tech so far u know your stuff.

yes he does glad to have him around thanks adam

-
Back