clay bar / wax ?

-

74/6

Reaction score
I have a '74 Duster with about 90% original paint. The paint looks good for it's age but I would like to add some look of depth to it. What sould I use? Clay bar then wax? Something synthetic? The paint is getting thin is a few spots. May be don't use clay bar? Please help! Thanks

I have a '74 Duster with about 90% original paint. The paint looks good for it's age but I would like to add some look of depth to it. What sould I use? Clay bar then wax? Something synthetic? The paint is getting thin is a few spots. May be don't use clay bar? Please help! Thanks

If you do not want to or do not have the money to have it repainted you may want to look into having it lightly wet-sanded and have a good clear coat sprayed over the original paint.

My paint is over 20 years old and has been clear coated and as you can see still looks great.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion. It will have to come to new paint in a few years. I was looking for a way out until then. Thanks

The original paint is enamel which oxidizes easily. Your best bet is to find someone who knows how to used a buffer properly and have them compound it, glaze it and seal it with a good wax.

Heres some pictures of original paint before and after painting.

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

IM000266.jpg

IM000006.jpg

IM000960.jpg

clay bars remove the contaminants on top of the paint, best bet is to buff then wax with a good carnuba wax or the megires 2.0 tec wax. its good stuff. I have done this to the Newport and it looks great but I also clay bar it once a year to remove all the winter build up. It is as smooth as butter afterwards, make sure to wax it afterwards though because the clay bar removes to wax as well.

Clay bars are great. They will even remove paint overspray if you have been unlucky (or careless) enough to end up with some on the paint. I have used bars from Mothers and Griot's garage with great success.

-
Back