clean my fuel tank? (newbe)

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
hello guys,
I just changed my fuel filter, and it was DIRTY... looks like it was having a bad case of diarrhea out the back end.

happily my car is idling and starting better now. I dont know how long the filter was in there but it was soooo dirty..

I'm wondering if I should take some steps to clean my fuel tank? I plan on adjusting fuel gauge sending unit soon anyway, should I do something while im down there?

thanks

Couldn't hurt. My tank on my 69 Charger was so gunked up, I bought a new tank.

Yeah, you`ll probably need to clean it and replace the screen on the sending unit/pickup if the car has sat any real length of time.

Try www.gastanks.com I bought a new tank from them, Came from Quanta Products I think. It was cheap insurance and if you are gonna take the old one out, Spend a little and not have to do it again!

New tank and sending unit plus gasket and filler gromet. Never worry again!

My two cents,
John B.

Some tanks are more model and year specific than others. Maybe the inexpensive one is made in China.(?)The good reproductions are made in Canada. You might want to check with the retailer and find out where the items are made and then use that information when making your decision.

if you dont know how long the fuel filter was in there, then it was in WAY too long, if the tank isnt leaking there is no need to replace it, just remember to change your filter,

Some tanks are more model and year specific than others. Maybe the inexpensive one is made in China.(?)The good reproductions are made in Canada. You might want to check with the retailer and find out where the items are made and then use that information when making your decision.

nice to know, thanks

if you dont know how long the fuel filter was in there, then it was in WAY too long, if the tank isnt leaking there is no need to replace it, just remember to change your filter,

sounds good, I think i'll siphon fuel some out of my tank just to see what it looks like anyway, and do some tests to see how dirty the tank is, I might try and clean if its real bad

The low-buck way to go is to clean the tank. Old fuel will form gunk in the tank that is like the "diarrhea out the back end" you reported. I've been successful using an old motorcycle technique. The A-body tank isn't that much larger than some bike's.
  • Drain the tank, remove sender unit/pick up tube, drop tank.
  • Use a derelict sender unit to seal the sender unit hole.
  • Add about a quart or two of solvent and a pound of gravel to the tank through the fuel fill hole. Gravel should be rough edged and about the size of a jawbreaker candy.
  • Cover fuel inlet hole with hand and shake tank violently for 45 - 60 seconds. Vary angle of shaking periodically to expose more of the interior to scouring effect.
  • Pour gunk out of tank into a large basin.
  • Carefully inspect tank for results. If there is more gunk in tank, repeat with fresh gravel and solvent.
I've found that this removes rust as well as gunk in tank. I did this with the both of my current cars. In the case of the Demon, the process exposed a hole in the tank that had been covered by gunk and undercoating.

2 Safety Warnings:
  1. Dispose of waste gunk/gravel mix properly. Somebody's pet may get into it or your kids may think the slime is cool and play with it.
  2. DO NOT use an open flame or strike an arc with a welder anywhere near the open gas tank. It is a vapor, not a liquid, that explodes in the engine.

The low-buck way to go is to clean the tank. Old fuel will form gunk in the tank that is like the "diarrhea out the back end" you reported. I've been successful using an old motorcycle technique. The A-body tank isn't that much larger than some bike's.
  • Drain the tank, remove sender unit/pick up tube, drop tank.
  • Use a derelict sender unit to seal the sender unit hole.
  • Add about a quart or two of solvent and a pound of gravel to the tank through the fuel fill hole. Gravel should be rough edged and about the size of a jawbreaker candy.
  • Cover fuel inlet hole with hand and shake tank violently for 45 - 60 seconds. Vary angle of shaking periodically to expose more of the interior to scouring effect.
  • Pour gunk out of tank into a large basin.
  • Carefully inspect tank for results. If there is more gunk in tank, repeat with fresh gravel and solvent.
I've found that this removes rust as well as gunk in tank. I did this with the both of my current cars. In the case of the Demon, the process exposed a hole in the tank that had been covered by gunk and undercoating.

2 Safety Warnings:
  1. Dispose of waste gunk/gravel mix properly. Somebody's pet may get into it or your kids may think the slime is cool and play with it.
  2. DO NOT use an open flame or strike an arc with a welder anywhere near the open gas tank. It is a vapor, not a liquid, that explodes in the engine.

Good info there twoDarts. Mine was so bad I had to replace it I spent the extra$$$'s with no regrets.

-
Back