"Clean" power source for Sniper EFI

-

Dubob

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need some input. I've installed a Sniper EFI on my 71 Demon. When I go to the run position, the unit powers up as it should. But the issue comes in when I go to start. The unit momentarily loses power and reboots. I have the ignition one and two (brown and dark blue) tied together and feeding the coil as I'm not using a ballast. These are what I'm currently tied into for the 12volt power to the sniper. Question is what are others using as a constant power for the EFI? Honestly I believe the power is dropping out as the ignition switch changes contacts from run to start. I don't know of another "switched" power source. Thank you.

Constant power (red wire) needs to come right from the battery +. The pink wire goes to the ignition switch. I am looking at the instructions right now.

That's correct. The pink wire is the one I'm questioning. I will have to run thru my manual and see which or if there is a constant power source from the ignition switch that doesn't break while going from run to start. I didn't really think about going to the switch directly. Thank you.

The very simplest solution is a manually operated switch to signal a relay which would power the add on from a always hot, like the starter relay post. You would have better voltage too and no worry about voltage drop through the cars OEM wiring and switches.
A lighted switch will help remind to turn it off.

That's kind of what I was leaning towards redfish. Also tuck it away kind of as a "kill" switch too.

That's kind of what I was leaning towards redfish. Also tuck it away kind of as a "kill" switch too.

This is a common problem with older Mopar ignition switches that drop the power between run and crank. Using a separate switch for switched ECU power is a good idea as long as you don't forget to turn it off.

-
Back