Cleaning a gas tank

-

moparmucelli

Reaction score
Hi guys i pulled out my gas tank and i want to clean it it has a little rust can i use a chemical to clean it?

Yes. I used muriatic acid to clean out the rust, then baking soda/water to neutralize that. Then I used an Eastwood kit to recoat the inside of the tank. Ten years later and it stills looks great inside. Follow the instructions in the kit if you want good results. Like you've done, you have to take the tank off the car to do this.

Did u dulute the muriadic acid with the baking soda and water? And where do u get that eastwood kit?

The backing soda neutralizes the acid. You use that after the rust is gone. I'd dilute the acid at least 1 to 1 with straight water. Make sure to use it outside away from any other metal parts. The fumes will rust other parts if they come into contact with them.

I cleaned out my gas tank. I got it exceptionally clean. Big mistake
I bought a brand new tank, delivered to my door for ONLY $119.
I called around to have someone locally clean it. The least expensive was $150 just to look at it and it went up from there

The gas tank is not very large, so the technique I used for cleaning out a motorcycle gas tank may work. Empty gas tank and remove from car. Remove sending unit from tank. Put one or two pounds of small (grape size), rough gravel in the tank and seal the openings. Shake tank vigorously for three to five minutes. (If you want to get the tar like stuff out, add ½ gallon of diesel fuel with gravel.) After shaking, empty tank, and examine. If cleaning not complete, repeat.

Disposing of the diesel, rust, and gravel is a HazMat PITA. Back before responsible disposal became PC, I used to pour it out along fence lines where we didn't want grass or weeds to grow.

-
Back