Cleaning and Rust Proofing inside Frame Rails

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a way to clean inside the frame rails, short of completely removing the rails or dipping the body. Once its clean should be able to use something like Eastwood internal frame coating. But getting it clean is where I'm stumped right now. Or as long as its not rusted through don't worry about it?

Pretty much. I sprayed rustoleum b-b-q paint as deep as I could; the rest has been there 40 years and is working fine. Little surface rust never hurt anything.

I like the water based rust neutralizer/reformer. Like Rust Ender or Neutra-Rust. Can be applied with a pump spray bottle, paint brush, pushed with compressed air, whatever works. OK I haven't tried to get it inside frame rails. Imagining foam or other nap on a fish tape. I have used it inside doors, trunk lids, and such, applying in one place until it drips from other places. Little to no cleaning or prep work required.

I cut holes where I could, blew out cavities, vacuumed, whatever I had to in order to get them cleaned out. Every frame rail I had was opened up in some way in order to do this and a patch was welded back in place afterward. Then used the Eastwood internal frame coating.

Consider distilled, white vinegar. As an experiment, take a rusty bolt or any rusted metal and soak it in some Distilled, White Vinegar overnight. Remove the patient and rinse. You might be surprised. You really need to neutralize the vinegar with baking soda/water and then wash the baking soda off. I have a process of degreaser and wash. Then the vinegar soak. Next the baking soda/water rinse. Then wash with soap and water. You better be ready to protect the bare metal! Wire brush/sand paper is ok at anytime during this process; just don't cross-contaminate your liquids. Another really good product is called On and Off sold mainly at boating stores. (Google it). This stuff is really aggressive at dissolving rust and stains so be very safe and have your baking soda/water solution close at hand. Read the MSDS!!! I don't use the vinegar process and the On and Off stuff at the same time. Do not underestimate the vinegar, or the On and Off, because they attack the weakest stuff first and then start eating the next "donor" material! Like the thin threads of a bolt or frame rails. On and Off really takes rust stains off of stuff if you can't polish the rust stains off. JUST BE QUICK WITH THE BAKING SODA SOLUTION when in doubt.........EVEN ON YOURSELF.......WEAR PROTECTION.

Here is the Eastwood stuff.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7W7Db5vdw"]Internal Frame Coating - Prevent Rust IN Your Chassis - from Eastwood - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back