Cleaning block after boring/drilling

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Just curious how most are cleaning the metal filings out of there blocks after boring and or drilling/grinding for oiling mods. I have been pressure washing mine with a cleaner (usually simple green) and then sometimes ill spray them down with a spray gun full of reducer/thinner. Blowing all passages out a lot and often. Any easier ways or different methods being used? I know I spend a lot of time trying to make sure they are super clean.

on my block i used my die grinder and smoothed the lifter valley to a mirror shine for drain back. i had a **** ton of shaving. i put it in a kiddy pool on blocks and sprayed soapy water and air for hours an always found more flakes. i ended up taking it down to a local shop and had it washed. brought it home and ran oil thru all the passages and found more. its a long process but it needs to be super clean. then i soaked it all with wd-40

I use dish washing detergent and engine cleaning brushes. Wash with hot water, rinse with hot water, blow passages out with shop air, repeat from beginning. Then visually inspect all passages with a light. Once it's clean it gets bagged and goes into temperature/humidity controlled room. I don't like to use WD40 on it until it's being assembled because once it's on the surface dust and contaminents will stick to it.

-
Back