Cleaning fuel lines... help!?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Aaahh!! not getting fuel to carb... all rubber hose has been replaced, gas tank cleaned and sealed, Edelbrock 600 4 barrel carb. I have a glass fuel filter so I can see it's not getting fuel to the carb, so I got a new fuel pump... No dice... The only thing I can think of is that the steel fuel line must be clogged up. This would not be too bad but I dont have an air compressor and I live in an apartment complex so I'm iffy about getting one. Any suggestions on cleaning out the line? (other than compressed air)

Compressed air is the best way, but not a sure thing.

I used compressed air to clean out the fuel line after the car was sitting for over 20 years. I could hear bubbles in the tank so I thought it cleared the line. The line was clogged with crud, but there was a pinhole through the crud, allowing the air to blow through, but it would not let enough fuel to flow for the engine to run.

Compressed air is the best way to clear it, but it may not work.

Pour some acetone in the line, tape a rag loosely on other end and blow it through the line. Do it as many times as it takes to get what comes out clean and clear.

Agreed, compressed air is the best way to get them clean.

What about switching the fuel and vent lines? or thoughts on just making a new line from aluminum fuel line?

Get a can of transmission cooler cleaner. I comes with a hose attached and a lot of propellant.

Usually it's clogged on one end or the other. I use carb cleaner with a nozzle attachment to spray it down the line. I Let it sit a while and then chuck a cutoff speedo cable into a drill and run it down the tube with the cutoff end acting like a drill bit. It works better than a coat hanger as it will go around corners. You really need to use some compressed air to clear it out no matter which method you use. If you don't want a compressor, get one of those portable air tanks and rig an air nozzle to that. You can always fill the tank at a gas station or garage. The only other way is to get a new line.

-
Back