Cleaning Intakes

-
Tom: Good question. If it's real nasty i'll put it in the parts washer and then it goes into the bead blaster. Does a pretty nice job. Then i gasket match the ports then wash with water hose to flush out any grinding that may be left then blow dry with a cattle groomer heat blower. And then it will go to Leanna when i figure out what color.

Pecking order.

I use brake cleaner because it cleans the nastiest crap on earth. Now for the aluminum, I use Eagle One ruff aluminum cleaner. To make it look fresh, glass beeding does great. Powered coating makes it look super great for a very long time.

If it's really nasty I use engine cleaner then to make it look new I use oven cleaner. Just have to make absolutely sure that you get all the oven cleaner off, with the garden hose and lots of water, or the cleaner will eat the parts.

I have cleaned several nasty rascals by tossing them into the soak tank for the weekend (aluminum cleaner tank), washing them with varsol when they come out, if still dungy hit them with Acetone and varsol /wash again.

I try not to bead blast manifolds because it is almost impossible to get all the grit out. I will glass bead them, then into the soak tank routine to get it all off/out.

This is the same proceedure I use to polish parts prior to starting in with the sanding etc...

These motor plates and alternator bracket reinforcement were nasty dirty scrap aluminum sheet.

-
Back