Cleaning old unused hydraulic lifters

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put my 360 together in the 1980’s with Mopar Performance cam, lifters and spring package. The engine sat on a stand without ever being started. I have disassembled it for cleaning and found some of the lifters stuck. They have been now soaking in parts cleaner for several weeks. Haven’t checked to see the effect yet but wonder if I did buy a new set. With all the comments I see about current quality I wonder if I’m better off continuing to try and clean the MP ones from yesteryear. Can they be disassembled? What are your opinions?

Personally, I would buy new lifters. Yours might be OK, but no more than they cost, I'd buy new ones.

Use them. Disassemble, use a clear bowl when you clean them. Oil them up and reassemble. Might be surprised what you see in the bottom of the bowl.

3 in one oil onto the lifter cup n let it sit then work them with a push rod.
Is this cam never broke in? If so.. and if the lifters don't free completely.. like Harrisonm said buy new lifters.

I have some sets of new hyd lifters that I got around 40 years ago and let sit during the 30 years my car hobby was dormant during my busy work years. I have put together two hyd motors using the old lifters in last two years with the old unused lifters.

They were really gummed up inside when I checked them. Took them apart and had bang some on a block of wood to get the plungers out and cleaned with Brakeclean. Oiled with light oil and made sure plungers free, both new motors run fine. Took a couple hours to clean and reassemble a set; hey, I'm retired now, and determined to use these parts I've been storing for years.

With the crappy hydraulic lifters that are sold today, I'd take my chances disassembling to unused lifters, cleaning the as described and use them.

I have'nt disassembled a hydraulic lifter in eons. Are they 100% metal parts, and the ball to seat is metal to metal?? Even the plunger assy. has no rubber parts??

I’d clean those dirty ones other than buy some china lifters!

Thanks everyone. I did buy some new lifters when I was having the block recleaned and the unused cam lightly cleaned. It had no rust; just dried out assembly lube. Now I think I will clean the lifters that I got with the cam. I have no idea where the new lifters I got from the machine shop came from. I mostly bought them because he is a friend and had done me some favors. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. I did buy some new lifters when I was having the block recleaned and the unused cam lightly cleaned. It had no rust; just dried out assembly lube. Now I think I will clean the lifters that I got with the cam. I have no idea where the new lifters I got from the machine shop came from. I mostly bought them because he is a friend and had done me some favors. Thanks again.
Are you having the bases resurfaced?

I have'nt disassembled a hydraulic lifter in eons. Are they 100% metal parts, and the ball to seat is metal to metal?? Even the plunger assy. has no rubber parts??
Are you having the bases resurfaced?
No, the lifters have never been used. They just sat in the block on engine stand for 30 years. I expect they are better quality than today’s available product. Heads were never even installed as I got busy at my job. Just getting back to the project. The car I was building the engine for is coming out of paint shop in a couple of weeks.

-
Back