Cleaning over spray on the seats and dash pad.

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I guess I am not as good of a tape off man anymore, I have some primer over spray on the vinyl seats and dash pad of my 68. These are new seat covers and I do not want to hurt them. What have you guys used in the past to remove the over spray without damaging anything?
Thanks
Bob

Is this rattle can primer or primer with hardener? If it has hardener you are in trouble.

Coleman stove fuel for a campstove. Believe it, told to me by an upholstery shop. Small areas at a time.

Goo-Gone is citrus based.

The worst that will happen is that it will smell like orange juice concentrate for a few weeks.

2nd attempt to help you

is it primer with hardener or not?

Yep,the worst it will do is smell like oranges, the best it will do is nothing, goo gone is crap, will not do most of the claims on the label.

1702070459535.png

Awesome. Usually lives up to it's name- I get it at the dollar stores.
Spray it on, let it work for a minute or two, scrub the area with a soft bristle brush. Wipe it clean. Repeat.
It's worth a shot. I use that sh*t on everything.

View attachment 1716175709
Awesome. Usually lives up to it's name- I get it at the dollar stores.
Spray it on, let it work for a minute or two, scrub the area with a soft bristle brush. Wipe it clean. Repeat.
It's worth a shot. I use that sh*t on everything.
I use this for cleaning up smoke and grime on old jukebox parts. Good stuff!

Naptha is pretty harmless.. but a great cleaner. Ignore 413 all you want, but he's spot on!

I have found that just soaking a rag with you preferred version of Armor-All (vinyl treatment) and letting it sit on the offending vinyl overnight can loosen it up enough to flake off with a good rub. This I am at least sure won't hurt anything... Solvents, I would be leery of

I guess I am not as good of a tape off man anymore, I have some primer over spray on the vinyl seats and dash pad of my 68. These are new seat covers and I do not want to hurt them. What have you guys used in the past to remove the over spray without damaging anything?
Thanks
Bob

The three basic solvents are: water, rubbing alcohol, and mineral spirits/lacquer thinner....

I learned that from paying attention in high school chemistry class...

I would try the lacquer thinner last, and put some on a rag and rub it in a small test area first... Then if it works, just put it on a rag and rub the spots until you get all of it off...

I used Simple Green in the past, and it worked like a charm.
The over spray came right off, and it was immediate with no harm to the vinyl upholstery...

Thank You All, I now have an assortment of weapons to use on this over spray. Hopefully I will be able to work on it next week and report back to you what worked out the best and once again Thank You for all the replies.
Bob

I use Goo-Gone dozens of times during a given year to remove "permanent" marker, duct (and other) tape residue, and paint pen marks among other things.

It works.

Sometimes it takes multiple applications and sometimes letting it sit in a pool over the target area.

I've even used it to carefully remove a live lizard from a commercial rat glue trap.

If it's just rattle can primer, it should come off no problem with something relatively mild. Remember to post the results!

-
Back