Cleaning Pistons DIY

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for a good solution to soak a set of pistons in What works please? Thanks

Purple Power. But you have to check on them. You cannot just leave them in there.

Solvent and a plastic bristled brush to get the oil off, dry, and then soda blast.

Buy a Gal of WD40 shake it up good and put the piston up side down in a small bowl over night, the next day you can just wipe off all the carbon and clean out the ring grooves. it's all I use anymore. It works great and doesn't hurt the piston.

Diesel fuel works good to soak them in and start loosening up and dissolving the carbon.

Need to brush them down once in a while to help them along.

Be careful with cleaners like simple green and purple power. They are both corrosive to aluminum. That's why I recommended checking on them in purple power and not just letting them sit.

Be careful with cleaners like simple green and purple power. They are both corrosive to aluminum. That's why I recommended checking on them in purple power and not just letting them sit.
Automatic dishwater detergent will pit aluminum too.

That why I really haven't used it yet, Thanks on the heads up.

Folks that used simple green on carbs are sad when they come out a dark gray color.

I like the WD40 idea, that won’t hurt the aluminum.

Believe it or not, Easy off oven cleaner works great. Don't just spray it on and leave it overnight, spray it on, wait 15 minutes, and hose it down. Do this 2 or 3 times, and dry them. Air at 135+ PSI, and a gentle oven. Make sure you rinse it all off, and dry it fully with gentle heat.

I think its the lye. Strong stuff

I had a snow blower crankshaft with aluminum from a burned up connecting rod stuck all over it. I soaked it in Drain cleaner (Lye) for two hours or so and all the aluminum dissolved off it leaving the crank mint. As said lye will kill those pistons. wd40 get my vote.

I use Simple Green full strength in a Lowes bucket, but like Rob said take them out and rinse, then air dry.

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

I've used Berrymans chemdip on pistons and rockers etc.etc. not syaing its the best but I've used it with success...

THey will turn your carburetors black if you don't get the correct stuff.

I use simple green mixed with water and boil them in an old crock-pot.
Check them every couple of hrs, do not leave them in there for a long time.

-
Back