Cleaning plastics

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Any Tips on cleaning the Rad overflow tank and washer bottle. Rad overflow tank is filthy and plastic has yellowed. Tried bleach on the inside and it got some off but is still pretty grubby.

Won't be able to get the "yellow" out, that's age baby :glasses7:

I like to use 409 and a scrub or tooth brush

Update

Tried a few different things on my radiator overflow tank and a mixture of water and Hyrochloric acid seem to get the Red Rusty Scaly crap off. It looks reasonably clean inside now. I gave it a good wash out after with soapy water to get rid of residue.

If you are going to use this though be very CAREFULL it is wicked stuff. Eye protection, mask and gloves recomended.

To clean the inside of mine, I used some aquarium gravel and shook it like crazy... Did a good job. Any kind of small gravel would most likely work..

Good your in Australia!! It's summer there correct? Anyway fill a bucket with hydrogen peroxide and dunk the whole thing in it, now the Australian part put it out side in the sun for at least a whole day maybe even two and it should come out brighter and the yellowing should not be as bad. Let us know if it works good for you!

They get extremely brittle too. You'll be lucky if you don't crack it while attempting to clean it.

How about those teeth whitening products to stain your teeth white????

Because I have it on hand for my pool, I use a diluted solution of Muriatic acid. Because it's sold in plastic jugs, it must be safe for the plastic. Just be careful not to breathe it or spill it on yourself. Widely available and not too expensive (except it must be purchased by the gallon).

they are prob made with hdpe.....high density poly ethylene .... heat and sunlight break the plastic down you will never get the yellow out of them. good luck

deep woods off will restore plastic headlights maybe try a small spot and see

they are prob made with hdpe.....high density poly ethylene .... heat and sunlight break the plastic down you will never get the yellow out of them. good luck

X2. The yellow is going to be through the part, not just on the surface.
Most of them are re-popped and the whiteness is shocking.

-
Back