Clear as mud

-

PNK6PK

Reaction score
I have a Dual (4 pin) PN 2444641 ballast resistor , Orange ECU, Blaster coil PN4876732 MP 3690430 Vac. Adv. distributor and want to run the MP 5249776 Mech.Adv. distributor. Do i need to change the Resistor? And if so how do i convert the 4 pin to a 2 pin?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 194
The 4 pin resistor has nothing to do with the distributor, it's for the ECU

The older 5 pin ECU MUST have a 4 pin resistor

The newer 4 pin ECU CAN use EITHER 2 or 4 pin resistors

You cannot identify a 4 or 5 pin by counting pins. Some 4 pin ECUs have 5 pins, the 5th one is a dummy

IF you unhook the ECU and use a "points" coil, the wiring will fall into place and function just like the older points dist/ coil/ ballast with NO wiring changes, IE you can just leave the 4 pin alone.

The 4 pin resistor has nothing to do with the distributor, it's for the ECU

The older 5 pin ECU MUST have a 4 pin resistor

The newer 4 pin ECU CAN use EITHER 2 or 4 pin resistors

You cannot identify a 4 or 5 pin by counting pins. Some 4 pin ECUs have 5 pins, the 5th one is a dummy

IF you unhook the ECU and use a "points" coil, the wiring will fall into place and function just like the older points dist/ coil/ ballast with NO wiring changes, IE you can just leave the 4 pin alone.
AH! at last a man that knows:thumblef: so your saying if i "unplug"? the ornge box ECU and replace the blaster coil with a HP points type coil (just swap the + - wires from one to the other) i'm good to go ? The ornge box in it has 5 pins but yes one is a dummy.

Yes, are you running a points distributor, or some other electronic system, that may change things

Yes, are you running a points distributor, or some other electronic system, that may change things
This is a 72 Dart so its Electronic Now with Vac Adv. and all i want is to change up to the Mp Mech. Adv. What i'm reading so far points to needing a .25 ohm resistor 2 post instead of my dual 5ohm/1.2ohm 4 post unit. This is due i believe to the coil upgrade Mp blaster. do i have to buy a rewire kit or can i just eliminate some plugs on the factory 4 post resistor and get it down to a two post?

OK, brain fart. If you are running a different coil, you should run the resistor recommended for the coil.

..............Delete the top 2 wires, install 2 post resistor......that dist usually comes in a kit with its own special resistor, coil and chrome ecu, wiring and instructions... kim........

..............Delete the top 2 wires, install 2 post resistor......that dist usually comes in a kit with its own special resistor, coil and chrome ecu, wiring and instructions... kim........
Yep your right Kim but the Kit # is listed as back order to?? so i got the Dizzy and chrome box #s and they were good so got those from Dodge then found the No longer available plug and wireing at a Dodge dealer in PEI? i think it was... ( he has 16 sets) so now i have everything but the instructions:banghead: but it's no all bad i did find instructions in the Mp motor book it's just that they took a page and a half to explain what you did in your PM :thumblef: Big Thanks Kim!

you can buy the connector w/wiring from jeg's or summit for 25.00. I changed mine added aftermarket dizzy and box.
2 of the wires are obvious as they go to dizzy connector.
Lt blue w/yellow tracer to ballast
Black w/yellow to - coil

-
Back