Clear coat or not

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone,
just finishing spraying the engine compartment on my Demon and it looks great.
My question to everyone is should I clear coat it or just leave it the way it is..
Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Personally I would clearcoat the tops and and sides of inner fenders,anything lower and the heat from headers,manifolds could dis-color the clearcoat or even start to peel.JMO.:happy10:

Clear coat = higher gloss (and, if you pick the clear coat carefully, better resistance to damage from spilt brake fluid) but harder to repair nicks and scuffs.

depending on the paint used. If painting non-metalic I always use acrylic urathane, no need to clear, cuts and buffs like clear as they are both almost the same product. Give it a light 2000grt. wet sand then buff it out and it will look like it was cleared.

Well it all depends on the paint you used,if you used acrylic enamel you can't put urethane clear over it until it's fully cured and then you will have to scuff it.if you used urethane there's no need for clear, clear will not give it anymore gloss that's bullshit. i often use strait urethane for for door jams,under hood and deck lid. then i use base clear for the exterior of the car.

Thanks everyone, I used the Duplicolor color shop paint. I like the idea of the sanding.
If anyone has used this paint please let me know what they did

Well it all depends on the paint you used,if you used acrylic enamel you can't put urethane clear over it until it's fully cured and then you will have to scuff it.if you used urethane there's no need for clear, clear will not give it anymore gloss that's bullshit. i often use strait urethane for for door jams,under hood and deck lid. then i use base clear for the exterior of the car.

This comes from words of experience sounds like to me fellows.

-
Back