Clear master cylinder reservoir?

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
Upgrading to the newer aluminum master cylinder and I was wondering if there were any clear/opaque reservoirs available? All of the ones I see have the black one which makes it a pain in the butt for me when I'm checking fluid level when bleeding. Okay, I guess its not that big of a deal but its the little things that count lol

They are all black from every source that I know of. Having said that, I did come across a clear one once in a wrecking yard. No idea where it came from though. I prefer clear myself because it allows a quick way to see if the fluid is dirty or not. When the fluid starts to get dark it is time to change it.

They are all black

They are not all black. Some of them were translucent white (like a windshield washer bottle) from the factory, at least as far back as '78 and at least as recently as '90. There are many different reservoirs for this type of master cylinder -- not just black vs. see-thru, but also different capacity/size and different mount angles; some power boosters mount the master cylinder at a pronounced nose-up angle. Six different reservoirs are listed in the '87 master parts catalogue, for example. Of those, some are listed as "w/fluid window" and some "w/o fluid window", and others don't specify.

Keep walking thru the junkyards long enough and you'll find a translucent reservoir that'll work for you. I agree they all should've been that way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140418316514 for one example of what the see-thru ones look like in the original style. I wonder if it'd be possible to swap on a late see-thru reservoir like this one, but I've never tried it (yet).

-
Back