Clifford Headers w/ps! Help

-

TF360

Reaction score
Ok so I listened to Larry at Clifford. He said the headers would fit w/ps, but the front header is bumping the ps box just enough to not fit properly. Any suggestions? Maybe I could indent the header. I don't know though

You should assure your power steering is correct and in the correct spot. Don't just say "it is", VERIFY IT.

The car only has 80,000 original miles Rusty. Everyting I worked on has been original so far.

If you have to dent it ,and the header is coated,use a block of wood not metal on metal to keep the coating from chipping.As I stated in one of your other posts no 2 cars are the same.Chrysler wasn't the best at tolerances.

The car only has 80,000 original miles Rusty. Everyting I worked on has been original so far.

Ok. How old is it again? 1974? Things wear and go bad. Things get replaced. Sometimes by an incorrect part but a part that will fit and work nonetheless. Also, how are the motor mounts? If they are original, chances are they are mashed and need replacing. That could be your header dent right there. The car is 46 years old. Original? Maybe. Everything still correct and good? Probably not.

Ok so I listened to Larry at Clifford. He said the headers would fit w/ps, but the front header is bumping the ps box just enough to not fit properly. Any suggestions? Maybe I could indent the header. I don't know though
Motor mounts good? I'd contact the folks I got them from first if possible. If you have to dent the pipe, then to me it doesn't fit with power steering or somethings askew.

I emailed larry eariler this week and asked him if they fit the 63-66 abodies with PS. He said they will for sure fit. Now i have my doubts.

I'm going to change my mount and I will let you guys know

I emailed larry eariler this week and asked him if they fit the 63-66 abodies with PS. He said they will for sure fit. Now i have my doubts.

Larry is full of dog dodo! Their current batch of shorty headers only fit early A’s with the 225 and manual steering. They won’t even fit the 170 with manual steering! Years ago they did have headers that fit either engine with PS, but they have been out of production for at least 20-25 years. The front 3 tubes basically went straight down in front of the PS box through the opening in the K Frame and straight back which was the only way to get slant headers and PS. They’re not cheap if you can even find a set - last set I saw went for over $5 or $600 on eBay. I can take some pics of the set I have if you and others are interested. I think @Charrlie_S did some comprehensive tests over at slant6.org. Maybe he’ll chime in.

The Clifford shorty headers for the high starter location, should fit with a 225 and power steering, in a 1967 and up "A" body. Possibly a "sagged" motor mount. No Clifford shorty header will fit in any year "A" body with a 170. The Clifford shorty header will fit a 66 down "A" body with a 225 and manual steering. Will not fit a 66 down "A" body with 225 and power steering.
Headers can be modified to fit the vehicles that are not bolt on's.

Thanks Charlie, I'll try a mount and see what happens
My friend had cliffords on his slant six with PS in a 74 valiant, clears well, i i think your motor mount is too low/worn out, you have the later k member with spool type motor mounts you can loosen the mount on driver side use a block of wood and jack to lift the motor up once you loosen the motor mount, or lift the motor with a cherry picker from the two bolts on the then tighten up the motor mounts to the new adjusted height

Or doodoo, yeah. Same ol' Larry; same ol' Clifford: full o' laffs (for them) wasted money-effort-time (for their customers).

Waaaaay back when Jack was running the show, they had some decent products - like the long tube headers for early A’s with PS. When I bought the Clifford headers and intake in 84 or 85, things were still good. After Jack either died or retired (can’t remember), then the cost cutting started, customer service went to crap with all the lies and half truths and generally everything just went to ****.

Ok, reporting back. I installed a new Poly engine Mount and it did make a difference. A very, very small difference. The header still makes contact with the Power Steering unit, which is not good, but it dropped in enough that I believe with a Remflex Gasket it could work. Headers don't sit completely flat against the head, There is a little imperfection there. I might grind off a tiny bit for just a hair more clearance. So Cliffords fit with some imperfection on a 1974 with Power Steering

Ok, reporting back. I installed a new Poly engine Mount and it did make a difference. A very, very small difference. The header still makes contact with the Power Steering unit, which is not good, but it dropped in enough that I believe with a Remflex Gasket it could work. /QUOTE]

Sounds like you're close. Read post 17. You can get a little more clearance by moving the thru bolt up in the slot.

-
Back