Clocking Speedometer

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey look! Its the dumb young one with a dart that is asking another question.

My speedo worked before taking the trans out and rebuilding it and I guess before taking the speedometer out your supposed to mark the numbers it was on... well guess what, I didn't do that... I bet you're not surprised? :p

I have a 904 transmission. yellow speedo gear, 3.23 rear gears (need to know anything else?) Do I just turn the speedo housing until it starts working again? Anyone have a best guess for the correct way / numbers it should be on for it to work again?

Thanks!

20200506_115155.jpg

it's marked for speedometer gear. You need to put it in the slot that covers your gear

If your speedo gear is a 36 tooth. Look on the adapter for a number range like 32-40 ( the numbers I used are only example) and line that up when you put it back in

OK heres the #s it should be on, now do they have to point a certain way? Do I put the hold down on it in this slot or the slot?

20200506_123651.jpg

20200506_124013.jpg

Your gear will have the number stamped on it. Then match up the little line with the little nub at the bottom of the speedo hole in the tail housing.

There is a cast pointer on the trans that you line up to tooth range, you can also stick it in there and rotate it as it is eccentric inside, sort of off center and youll be able to feel it hit the worm gear, then back it off so the numbers match the pointer. If your speedo is not working, you can chuck the end of the yellow gear in a hand drill amd rotate it to see if it registers on the speedo.

I read the FSM... install the #s that correspond with your speedometer tooth # at lowest point of the speedo gear hole..

My yellow speedometer gear is a 30 toother. Which per MyMopar chart is correct for 26in tires and 3.23 gears.

Picture for others who may have problem in the future.

20200506_131849.jpg

20200506_132710.jpg

Last edited:
Do I put the hold down on it in this slot or the slot
I think you already figured this out, but when the line on the adapter lines up with the nub pointer the deep notches line up with the ends of the hold down. Like in second photo of post 5

-
Back