clones that are not sold as clones but the real things

-
We have a local dealer that is also an ebay lister. He is famous for using terms in his listings like "One of a kind- 1967 Impala station wagon", and then there's nothing to substantiate any rarity what so ever. He also frequently mistypes VIN numbers on his Mopars, anyway, usually the 5th digit is a "6", which I'm guessing is a G.

There was a 73 Satellite listed as a "Real Roadrunner", but the VIN was listed as RH23xxxxxx", I did let them know that "RH" was NOT a roadrunner VIN, and they tried to tell me that:
A- "VIN numbers were not 'standardized' until the 80s, so there was no way to tell",
B- they were a dealership, so I should 'trust them'" , and
C- "All the pictures they ever saw of 73 Roadrunners looke just like that, so it HAD to be a real RR".

Wow!

For the record, I've also alerted sellers positively about their cars.

I also had a local dealer tell me that a VL29G duster was a "real 340 car", because it had a 340 in it.
I told him his price would be good, if it had come with a 340 from the factory (I was actually attempting to haggle, because it WAS a nice car), and he just walked away (from a potential customer).

yea we built challengers in the 90s and never done that type thing. now if i was drag racing lol i will tell everyone its a 318 lol

OK... I'll race you with my 340 then. Just put on a set of heads like yours. Couldn't get the stroker to fit.

I had a customer that promised me he had a 70 4dr car with a factory 383 hemi with ac. So I said can I see the motor. So he poped the hood and there it was a stock 383 2bl. I said sir that is a 383 low hp car. He said nope its a hemi.
absolutely classic ..lmao

To be fair, many Mopar people don't even know that.
the scary thing is many people dont know,and a lot of people will call you a liar if you told them that you could walk into a dodge/plymouth dealership and order a 426 race hemi dual quad crossram 4 speed 4.10 dana in the 68-69 dart or barracuda and take it racing complete with plexiglass, fiberglass and radio,wiper,heater delete and no warranty...

i am no guru but im not ignorant to the hobby.

that can be the worst part, that sometimes you can question your own 'guruness' when someone else starts to spout info (like an argument I had with a co-worker once when he was telling me there was no such thing as a 1968 1/2 Mustang- I had to go and look it up to prove it to myself later lol).

A few weeks ago while airing up a tire on my 66 Valiant at the gas station a dude in his 50's stopped to tell me how nice my car was. Asked if it was a 71 or 2. I'm like nope 66.
had someone a couple weeks ago admiring my Duster and he said "what year is it-'64?" Some folks just don't know, and ya gotta humor them:D

i once had a long drawn out arguement with a guy that was claiming his 318/4 speed powered 74 challenger was a documented 383/4 speed challenger rallye R/T because it had the rallye stripe package and R/T badges all over it and low and behold the 5th digit was a G and as we are popping the hood ,mysteriously, the distributor had made its way to the back of engine! he claimed the car had just gone through a complete refurbish and while the outside was pretty nice the engine bay was completely sickening and the guy told me his "383" had just been rebuilt and that they were in such a hurry to get it running that they passed on painting the engine! and sure enough,there was the single exhaust hanger and the 8 1/4 peeking out from underneath.the guy got so mad when i started dumping facts on him he told me to get the hell away from his car, i still laugh about that to this day and this was only a couple of years ago. i can only imagine what he must have payed for that thing.i see crap like that all the time on the ebay listings, people see a mopar and know they can go for big bucks and you got these guys that pick em up,slap some paint, stripes and badges on them and try to triple their money on them. then you got the guy who buys one and does not want to hear how he just burned and gets really pissed off and yells at ya when you tell him !buyer beware!

that can be the worst part, that sometimes you can question your own 'guruness' when someone else starts to spout info (like an argument I had with a co-worker once when he was telling me there was no such thing as a 1968 1/2 Mustang- I had to go and look it up to prove it to myself later lol).
touche' i had someone swear up and down,on their mamas grave ,the whole nine yards claim they had a 1 of 4, 66 coronet deluxe, 9 passenger wagon, 426 hemi , 4 speed, 4.10 dana , special order bucket seat console car , with air conditioning, i really began to question how much i really know because the guy was so convincing. never saw paperwork or heard about the other three....

My buddy was going to buy a 69 GTS a few years back.I told him when he went to look at it to call me and I would go and take a look at it with him.He he called a week later and said he had bought it.So I went to his house to take a look at it.I looked the car over and then checked the dash tag.It had a 69 GTS 340 dash tag but there was just one problem.The tag did not match the radiator support or trunk lip numbers!I said Bill the car has been rebodied.He said "rebodied,what do you mean"?

Jim

I have an all original 75 duster with a narrowed dana, 5.7 Hemi, and twin turbos. It's a factory survivor car. Never been repainted, never been raced, it's been sitting in a barn in touched since the day it was purchased. Has about 18 miles on it. It's a super rare car. I'm only asking for $1,000,000. This car is worth the money it was used to design the late model Hemi, and after it's use as an experimental car it was sold to a little old lady that only drove it a 1/4 mile at a time. Car has been well cared for and has never seen extream heat so the original rubber is still factory fresh. The car was in a barn in az so there is no rust. This is a 1 of none car. You gotta buy it today. It will sell fast.

See even I can make it sound good....... Lol

I have an all original 75 duster with a narrowed dana, 5.7 Hemi, and twin turbos. It's a factory survivor car. Never been repainted, never been raced, it's been sitting in a barn in touched since the day it was purchased. Has about 18 miles on it. It's a super rare car. I'm only asking for $1,000,000. This car is worth the money it was used to design the late model Hemi, and after it's use as an experimental car it was sold to a little old lady that only drove it a 1/4 mile at a time. Car has been well cared for and has never seen extream heat so the original rubber is still factory fresh. The car was in a barn in az so there is no rust. This is a 1 of none car. You gotta buy it today. It will sell fast.

See even I can make it sound good....... Lol
let me see, where did i put my checkbook, oh crap, you take plastic ?

And they know it all...
You can't argue with them, because they were sold a bill of goods, and absolutely refuse to believe FACT!
I just shy away from the argument anymore, it's useless.
Back around 1980 I came across the Deora at a custom car show, and the guy's blowing smoke how his dead father built it from a POS A-100 truck. Has pics to "prove" it...No build pics... Just a half dozen pics of a beat up old A-100. I informed him that the Deora was built from a NEW A-100 by the Alexander Brothers back around 1966 or so, and was actually commisioned by Chrysler Corp. .Needless to say,that's about when it became ugly..."You callin' me a liar?" , no... maybe the uninformed son of a liar... I'll leave out the rest.:banghead:
Both of my cars a LL23C-R******, and I don't give a ****. Not trying to pass anything off, I love'em, and couldn't afford L*23H******.My car's set up pretty much exactly the way I want it, that's all that matters.

I had heard in the late 80's that there were 4 times more Chevelle SS and Camaro SS's registered with the DMV than Chevy ever made....

Things that make you say "Hmmmm..."

the story on the chevys is even though they are calling them "numbers matching" you can only decode what drive train they came with. you cannot match an engine block or tansmission to a particular vehicle. you cannot match a core support or rear section or any of it to a certian VIN . thats what makes our mopars so much more valuable is that there are 7 different places that can be matched to the VIN. now whether or not thats a good thing or not im not really sure but those "numbers matching" chevys are not truly numbers matching and will not ever command the big bucks like the mopars.personally i dont care because im going to build what i want ,but i would not crossbread or hack up a good mopar valuable or not.im in it because i love my mopars and not for what they are worth...

LOL... yeah seen plenty of deals like that. I'm fortunate enough that it happen to someone else. Plug your ears for a moment.... i also have a 67 Mustang convertible one of 35 and the color is Diamond Blue.
I have people all the time... "wow that is a real different color... is it baby blue" me: Thank you but it is a color called Diamond Blue and they only made 35 in 67 like this" them: "oh yeah i've seen those before......" LOL...

What I want to say is well then you have traveled the United States frequently then" 35 cars out of one dealer in Maryland separated by 50 states...etc etc.

wow i just look at this hoe thing ... Its like when i had my coronet 4door and i had a guy talking to me bout it he asked to see under the hood so i showed him .... He looked and said so its got the hemi in it thats a rare car .... i cant talk for a sec thinking hes hit the pipe to hard lol ... then i tell him not its a small block 318 ... its nothing thats going to bring any kind of cash ... he comes back and says thats a hemi son ... btw im 17 at this time lol hes like 38ish i think i didnt ask lol .. so then being 17 i was like yup u got me its a hemi u want to buy it he asked what would i take i told him 10,000 its a soviver car and it really was but it was a 318 2bl 4 door 69 coronet lol .. he comes back thats a good price for a hemi car i said im im just sick of all that hp lol he said he wish he had it i ask him what do u have he said 2000 i told him its not really for sell at that price lmao

....or I'll part it out!

-
Back