Cluch and pressure plate help

-

MVRCorp

Reaction score
Wow, this is a bummer. I cannot locate anyone that can supply me with a cluch and pressure plate. 1967 - 273, 2-V, three speed. The plate measures 9-5/8 and the cluch measures 9-3/8 with 23 splines. I would hate to put the old stuff back in. If necessary will a 10" set-up w/ a different flywheel work? If I change to that will the old starter fit?
I'm in desperate need of these items by 3/23. Any help is appreciated.
Jim

Allthough I don't have an answer I also have the same question. My 66 Dart-HP273 needs a clutch and I would like to put in something that I can beat on and will last. There is a Clutchmasters shop in town and they can juice up a stock pressure plate for more bite. I might have to go that route. The D-Darts
back in '66 had Weber clutches but they are no longer available as far as I know. I believe Brewer's Performance has a kit to change the 9 1/2" clutch and small bellhousing to a 10 1/2" clutch and later model bellhousing. Apparently the z bar and linkage is in a different location and the kit solves that problem. Because of the small diameter it's too bad we can't use a dual-disc unit. We should work on that. The early A bodies need something better than stock. toolmanmike

Mcleod is the ony place that has a performance clutch setup for this. They have a 9.5" Borg & Beck pressure plate, part #360050. They also have a number of different discs. Standard organic is part # 260204 which should be fine for what you have, a buddy of mine has this in his 66 Formula-S & it's very nice. They have a combination organic-bronze disc for higher HP (260504) that's supposedly smooth. They also have a sintered iron street disc called the Rev-Lok (5205-02) for max street performance which is about as far as you can go with the 9.5 setup, however this would probably eat up your stock flywheel, you would have to get a pricey billet one made for this. All the Mcleod stuff can be had from Summit but you may have to wait a month or so because the 9.5 stuff is not stocked. There are issues with the 10.5 bell in an early A (especially with certain headers), you may want to check the early A forum.

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of a clutch set up for this application.
I now no where to go for a good clutch. toolmanmike

Mcleod is the ony place that has a performance clutch setup for this. They have a 9.5" Borg & Beck pressure plate, part #360050. They also have a number of different discs. Standard organic is part # 260204 which should be fine for what you have, a buddy of mine has this in his 66 Formula-S & it's very nice. They have a combination organic-bronze disc for higher HP (260504) that's supposedly smooth. They also have a sintered iron street disc called the Rev-Lok (5205-02) for max street performance which is about as far as you can go with the 9.5 setup

Scratch that, McLeod has discontinued all clutches & pressure plates that are not high volume sellers. They were bought out by B&M, many big changes. Unless you have a 10.5 or 11 inch, McLeod will be of no use.

I checked out their website and there wasn't much listed under passenger cars. Their workhorse series listed 9 1/2" under 273 engine in pick-ups. There is a street and perf. disc and pressure plate for both. I'll see if I can contact them for their recomendations. toolmanmike

I checked out their website and there wasn't much listed under passenger cars. Their workhorse series listed 9 1/2" under 273 engine in pick-ups. There is a street and perf. disc and pressure plate for both. I'll see if I can contact them for their recomendations. toolmanmike

Been there/ done that, would be a total waste of time to call. They no longer have ANY 23-spline discs under 10.5". All information they have on their website regarding sizes under 10.5" has been discontinued. They show many available discs under 10.5" in their application tables but these are not available. Tried to order directly through McLoud in addition to distributors to no avail. Customer service is very poor.

That bites!! I thought we were on to something. I'll check with
Clutchmasters. toolmanmike

Looking for something more hi-perf. When Mc Leod said they don't produce anything smaller than a 10-1/2" clutch they're missing out. Who makes performance clutches for all the rice grinders on the street now days. I'm
sure an Eclipse doesn't have room for a 10-1/2" clutch. And I'm sure they don't run stock clutches either. Mike

Looking for something more hi-perf. When Mc Leod said they don't produce anything smaller than a 10-1/2" clutch they're missing out. Who makes performance clutches for all the rice grinders on the street now days. I'm
sure an Eclipse doesn't have room for a 10-1/2" clutch. And I'm sure they don't run stock clutches either. Mike
McLeod may very well may make some small clutches for the rice market, can't really comment on that. They just don't make anything smaller than 10.5" for old mopar, i.e. the 23 & 18 spline stuff. Got off the phone today with one of their tech guys, they say there is no longer a source for high quality 9.5" pressure plate stampings that were once made in the USA. These were thick stampings & quite substantial. Newer ones are thin & cheaply made, from China or Mexico, & are unsuitable for any real performance use. To their credit they refuse to use this junk. I'm actually looking at some other options for use with the small flywheel. Possibilities include a 10 inch diaphragm or maybe even a Tilton or Quartermaster setup, these aren't cheap though.

-
Back