Clunk clunk in new 8.75

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
Hello I bought this a body 1970 8.75 3.55 suregrip complete rearend it was rebuilt by a fella who did this all day long but has now passed I had a shop install it in my 74 dart 360 sport I bought the DR.Diff green bearing axles to switch the sbp to bbp he put the 80 90 oil in with 1 4oz. Bottle of ford friction additive it the motor died as I was about to pull in my driveway I had it in neutral and it rolled backwards and I heard a clunk clunk clunk as it rolled backwards then we hooked the tow rope up and same clunk going forward I drove it 30 miles home but with the loud electric fuel pump and headers and windows down I didn't hear anything and I probably wouldn't have with all the wind noise and so on I don't know a thing about rearends any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated this is also a 4 speed manual transmission thank you

Last edited:
Are you sure it's the rear end?
Impossible to diagnose without laying eyes on it, but I'll give you 2 wild assed guesses:
1. U joints
2. Pinion nut wasn't tight enough, pinion bearings and seal are gone. Is there any leakage?

Pull it and check the patterns. While you have it out, check the u joints and rear shoes. If the pattern is that wrong, after thirty miles it ain't gonna get unwrong without new parts.

Other things are more esoteric.
Axle length correct?
Lug nuts tight?
Axle u bolts tight?

go find a parking lot and do some figure eight's this will get the friction modifers worked into the sure grip . this is common with new sure grips .

Jack the car up and see if the posi is working; maybe your axles are not fully engaged in the SureGrip mechanism........
If it clunks when the body is pushed sideways, something is wrong. With Green bearings there should not be any axle EndPlay.

Jack the car up and see if the posi is working; maybe your axles are not fully engaged in the SureGrip mechanism........
If it clunks when the body is pushed sideways, something is wrong. With Green bearings there should not be any axle EndPlay.
Can you please explain what when the body is pushed sideways what does that mean thank you

just lean against the car, at the back, then un-lean, lol.
I grab the wheel-well opening and push/pull. An inch or so is all you need to hear the tap-a-tappa of end-play, one tap in each direction.

It would make that clunk around corners. If you jack up the rear, both wheels off the ground, spin one wheel by hand. It should resist and then clunk-clunk if it has a locker. You might only need to lift one wheel off the ground actually.

Or, just push it in a straight line. If the sound is only there turning, it may have a locker.

I would be surprised if a guy put a locker in it and didn't tell you

-
Back