glhx

Reaction score
at 50mph and faster
when i turn right slightly at this speed
gets worse the more right i turn the wheels
i feel a clunking feeling at the drivers side floor board when this happens

doesnt happen when going straight
doesnt happen when turning left

looked under the front end and everything seems tight. everything is new and has maybe 800 miles on it

Don't know if you have "wheel spacers" or adaptors, but they can easily work loose and cause exactly what you describe.......

Check the studs and nuts........Other than that, not sure what to tell ya'.....

at 50mph and faster
when i turn right slightly at this speed
gets worse the more right i turn the wheels
i feel a clunking feeling at the drivers side floor board when this happens

doesnt happen when going straight
doesnt happen when turning left

looked under the front end and everything seems tight. everything is new and has maybe 800 miles on it

what is everything to you? on the front there are a lot of things to go wrong. mine does that because the upper conrtol arm bushings are worn out.

everything is bushings, ball joints, tie rods, pitman and idler, steering box and thats all. maybe its an upper ball joint. i did have a new lower ball joint and it went bad even though it was new. maybe that trashed the other ball joint. the disc brakes are from a 73 duster.

I think I payed around 200 for a full front end rebuild kit for my 71 scamp, which I have front discs from a 73 dart... it was fun to rebuild... lots of hard work and swearing but I got it done. That fixed my problem which was similar to yours... My whole front end was in rough shape though...

i havnt checked it out yet ..........the shock absorber. All the bushings are new polyurethane...maybe they went bad but i doubt it. we shall see.

i will check that out. i checked the shock. everything seems tight, but i didnt look on the passenger side at all

Two possible sources for your problem: The polly by golly stuff is very difficult to get seated. especially in the lower control arm. A good place to check. Another problem that is rarely checked is the weld on the fender at the top of the front shock tower, use a large screw driver or other pry tool to see if the weld is still holding where it attaches to the body.

the poly stuff could be it. I do remember having a problem with it. It was like it wasnt made for the car. I talked to an engineer at energy and he said he would get back to me. he never did , but i never drove the car fast around a turn. going slow it doesnt do it

The poly strut rod bushings are a little tough to get seated properly. Might want to check it out, but I don't know if they would cause a clunk. Seems like it could.

-
Back