Clunking sound when brake pedal is release

-

golden72

Reaction score
I have a question that I hope someone will be able to assist me with.
I have a '72 Dart Swinger. Recently, like 2 months ago, had new brake shoes and hardware kit installed all the way around, new shocks front and rear, complete front end suspension and rear axle done.
But as of about 3 weeks ago, I now hear a " clunking" noise immediately after I release the brake pedal.
It "sounds like" it's coming from the right rear side.
Any ideas on what the cause might be?

Sticking rear wheel cylinder. Best get it checked, if a spring broke or fell off it will make a mess in there.
If a shop did it, take it back.

Sticking rear wheel cylinder. Best get it checked, if a spring broke or fell off it will make a mess in there.
If a shop did it, take it back.
Sounds like a good plan. I'll have it inspected right away. Thanks a lot. I'll update after the inspection.

Depending on the situation at the time, if going from braking to throttle a clunk could come from a worn U-joint too.

Could also be sticky shoes from brake fluid leaking on them. That happened in my 1982 Chevy S-10 after only ~4 yrs from new. The RR drum would lock up after braking at a stop sign. I found leaking fluid from an internally rusted wheel cylinder. Don't know what crud the GM factory put in the system. I had never added any fluid. I imagined they had an open 50 gal drum of brake fluid and jokers would toss their Coke cans in it. Those years were about rock-bottom in quality for the U.S. industry.

Just a little input. Two things to look at while you have it apart. Loose backing plates will cause this. Check loose anything. On backing plates- the shoes ride on three pads on the backing plate. They can wear and "notch", causing the shoe to hang up. I always apply a little lube.

Just a little input. Two things to look at while you have it apart. Loose backing plates will cause this. Check loose anything. On backing plates- the shoes ride on three pads on the backing plate. They can wear and "notch", causing the shoe to hang up. I always apply a little lube.
I appreciate the input and will definitely look at this as well. I haven't been able to take the time to check her out yet. Busy time right now. But as soon as I am able to, I'll let everyone know what I find and how I resolved the problem. Thanks again.

Update on the clunking sound.
On Saturday, the 30th, I had the brakes inspected after the mechanic did a test drive. Of course he didn't hear the clunking noise. Even I noticed it had become intermittent.
Still, he removed every drum an carefully inspected the brakes. Nothing that he could find, no issues with the springs or any leaks.
But, I remembered that the evening before, when my radio was turned down, that if I released the accelerator while moving forward at about 25 mph, then pressing it again, I'd hear a faint clunk. Yep the same.
So I asked him while it was up on the rack if the u-joint had a grease fitting, to which he answered yes. He then lubricated the u-joint and all greasable fiitings in the suspension.
Result, so far? No Clunking sound. Keep your fingers crossed that this remains so.
Thank you for your input and guidance.
Happy New Year to all.

-
Back