Clutch diameter differences?

-

wrock

Reaction score
Gang,
For the first time in the 31 years I have been driving this Dart, I have actually worn out a clutch. The car had a 170 originally, and I put a 225 in it a couple of years ago. In the last month or so it slips sometimes at ~30 mph, which I am told is indicative of a clutch going out. My Haynes lists 3 different sizes for the clutch, 9-1/8, 9-1/4, and 9-1/2 inches. Can I "move up" to a 9-1/2" clutch without any problems? The flywheel behind the 225 is the one from the 170, as the 225 was originally in front of an automatic.

Thoughts and advice are appriciated.

Thanks.

Bill Rock
68 Dart, slip sliding away...

i test clutches my stopping on steep hills and letting it lug up the hill, if it breaks away then you know its slipping, also post up against a steep speed bump and on the brakes, then let the clutch out all (not side step lol) the way and see if it stalls or slips

as i recall they all use the same flywheel but different mounting pattern.

Cant you adjust the clutch, have you tried? Fairly simple process.

There is 1"+ of freeplay (at the pedal). I am reasonably sure it is slipping, as when I get it into 3rd, the revs suddenly increase with no commensurate increase in speed. I feel if I gunned it, it would happen more often. I am normally not a clutch abuser, but I did have to start this thing on a mild hill in 2nd a few months ago, when the 1-R rod fell off of the column. But that was just one start on the hill, and maybe 2-3 more on grade before I got it home and found out what was wrong. Back in the 80's I ran it for a month or more with only 2-3 after I broke my shift collar.

Thanks for the thoughts

I believe you can still get a 10" Borg and Beck clutch for a car slant. It was referred to as heavy duty police/taxi car clutch. I have one in my 64 Dart now. It replaced the stock 9.25" one.

I have a 10" clutch, with a steel flywheel.
It fits a normal bellhousing.
The flywheel teeth are integral, not a removeable ring gear.
With a 10" clutch on a std flywheel, you'd be drilling holes right in the middle of where the ring gear and flywheel meet......not a good thing.

Attachments

• IMGP1397.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 263
  • IMGP1399.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 213
Thanks, cjh. I see that rockauto has a couple of different 10" clutches. You seem to be indicating that the clutch cover for the 10" clutch is larger in diameter than the 9-1/8" clutch. Problem is, that I can buy plenty of clutches, but no one sells flywheels. I took no pictures, but when I put this clutch in (the old one broke a keeper for the anti-chatter spring, or I would not have messed with it) I seem to recall that there was an area on the edge of the flywheel that was not being used.

Thanks, cjh. I see that rockauto has a couple of different 10" clutches. You seem to be indicating that the clutch cover for the 10" clutch is larger in diameter than the 9-1/8" clutch. Problem is, that I can buy plenty of clutches, but no one sells flywheels. I took no pictures, but when I put this clutch in (the old one broke a keeper for the anti-chatter spring, or I would not have messed with it) I seem to recall that there was an area on the edge of the flywheel that was not being used.

Thats OK.
That flywheel of mine is made to fit a slant, a Hemi 6, and a small block V8.
The clutch I got for it handles 450hp.....been tested.

I am not sure that there is any need to move up in clutch size for a 225, unless you are upping the HP considerably. If you just wore it out (which seems likely), then that is no indication that the size is inadequate. Is there a parts avialability issue for any of these sizes? You indeed must be pretty easy on clutches to get 31 years of use!

You can use the 10 inch scalloped Borg and Beck clutch and pressure plate for the heavy duty police/taxi or truck that fits the same bolt pattern as your standard clutch. All you need are the special pressure plate bolts from Brewers Performance. You can find the pressure plates, relatively inexpensive, on eBay. It is different from the 10 inch diaphragm clutch system cjh has. That system looks very sweet and I almost ordered one for my 273.

Guys,
Thanks for the good discussion. I actually did not get 31 years out of one clutch, but I got...I guess 15-18 years, which is why when the "new" one died after only 2 years, I was looking for a way to "fix" it permanently. When the previous clutch died, it did not even really wear out, the anti-chatter spring retainer broke, so I had to replace it, even though the clutch material still seemed OK.

Since I am not into any kind of performance out of this vehicle (except maybe better gas mileage) I guess I'll stick with another stock clutch.

I appreciate all of the ideas.

Bill

Rockauto does sell flywheels but it looks like they are 11 inch truck flywheels.

DODGEB100(1971 - 1980)DODGEB150(1981 - 1991)DODGEB200(1971 - 1980)DODGEB250(1981 - 1987)DODGEB300(1971 - 1980)DODGEB350(1981 - 1987)DODGED100 PICKUP(1969 - 1989)DODGED150 PICKUP(1977 - 1991)DODGED200 PICKUP(1969 - 1980)DODGED250 PICKUP(1981 - 1991)DODGED300 PICKUP(1969 - 1978)DODGED350 PICKUP(1981 - 1983)DODGEDAKOTA(1987 - 1991)DODGEW100 PICKUP(1969 - 1989)DODGEW150 PICKUP(1978 - 1991)DODGEW200 PICKUP(1969 - 1980)DODGEW250 PICKUP(1981 - 1987)DODGEW300 PICKUP(1969 - 1978)DODGEW350 PICKUP(1982 - 1983)Please refer to catalog for application details.

I have been looking at them as I would like to cobble together a larger flywheel clutch setup. I am slowly working on a turbo build and want a bit more than a 9 1/4 clutch.

Mike

-
Back