-
Status
Not open for further replies.

robodhran

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I need a new clutch disc for my barracuda 4-speed. The actual diameter is approx. 9.25" and it has 23 spines.

Would not need the plate though. It is still in good condition and balanced. Neither need the Release Bearing and Sleeve.

Are there any recommendations where to get just the disc or a good pricy kit?

Thanks.

Robert

My first Barracuda was 67 with a 273 Commando and a 4 speed. weakest part of the whole car was that #$%*& 9-1/4" clutch! Hot setup back then was a Weber clutch but it was too spendy and I never did it.

My first instinct is to go to Rockauto. They do not list a 9-1/4" clutch for a 66 273, only larger. If you change the engine size to 225 /6 (3.7L), there is a 9-1/4" clutch kit listed for about $100. Note the 1"x 23 spline which matches what you have.

AMS AUTOMOTIVE Part # 05003 9.250" X 1.000" X 23T
With 9-1/4" Clutch; Flywheel Spec: FLAT (Only 4 Remaining)

You might consider trying to swap to a more common 10.5" clutch. You'd need a different bellhousing and flywheel for sure as the 10.5 does not fit the 9-1/4" BH.

Thanks. Different bellhousing and flywheel is no option. I'll check Rockauto for that kit.

I have a N.O.S. ++ OEM MOPAR ++ 9 1/4" 23 spline Clutch Disc --
will sell it outright with no core charge for the old one....

Here is some info taken from Slant6.org concerning pressure plates and clutches. They're referencing the slant but since the V8 used the same size equipment, it looks like it should be applicable for the V8 as well since it too used the same size flywheel, pressure plate and clutch as the slant:

The heavy duty pressure plate and disc for the SL6 is a 10 inch size "cover type" Borg & Beck, 3 lever unit. These units adds some needed surface area while still bolting to the stock 122 tooth flywheel. This is a special cover with it's six mounting bolt tabs which are inset into the cover. Here again, these pressure plates have lots of room for additional and /or stiffer springs but the inset tabs are a weak point where cracks start forming as spring pressures go up. This pressure plate is Borg and Beck # 1576 and be sure to inspect the tab areas closely if you use one. These units mount to the flywheel with special reduced hex size cover bolts.

It might be advantageous to upgrade to this larger pressure plate and clutch keeping the same bellhousing.

In the shop- and service manual for 66 Plymouth it says, that standard clutch size for 225 engines is 9 1/4". For 8cyl. vehicles with the 273engine it should be 9 1/2". So I do have the 9 1/4"-size clutch and now upgraded the engine to a commando version with more hp.

The Borg and Beck solution sounds good. Wished to know, if a simple change of the old 9 1/4" clutch disc would be "strong enough"...

I don't know about the Brewer's setup so I can't comment on it. The way I read the info I quoted from the slant six site, the bellhousing is not changed.
Don

I used the Brewers 10" kit and it worked good. I bought a cheaper kit off E Bay and the throw out bearing failed and ruined the fingers on the pressure plate.

I used a 10 inch slant disc in my Valiant with the 273. It fit the 9 1/2 in. pressure plate and fly wheel that was in the car when I bought it. It was a big improvement over the 9 1/2 in. It doesn't slip, but now the tires do.

I used a 10 inch slant disc in my Valiant with the 273. It fit the 9 1/2 in. pressure plate and fly wheel that was in the car when I bought it. It was a big improvement over the 9 1/2 in. It doesn't slip, but now the tires do.

Me too, on the 10". After messaging with Toolmanmike, I ordered one from Brewers. I thought I was having problems with it so I called Brewers and once he explained the fine art of adjusting a three-fingered clutch with an override spring at the pedal, I saw the light, followed his instructions, and it works like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back