Clutch disc clamping force in pounds

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the clamping force in pounds was for any of the stock clutches that were in any of these old mopars.

Like for instance a stock borg and beck style clutch with a 10.5" disc.

Did mopar use this same disc and pressure plate on a 318 up to a 383? If so what was the clamping force? 1,700 lbs 1,800 lbs

I looked for this on the net. Cannot find this information. I am a bit OCD and get a wild hair up my *** over crap like this, and just got to know, just to know.

Last edited:
IIRC there were some that had 3 roller assist and some that had 6 roller assist. Again, that is IIFC.

The base pressure was 2400 again, IIRC.

There were different pressurre plate specs for different combos.

You stated base pressure was 2400 lbs. Was that for a 318 up to a 383? I understand there may have been different combinations, however when the aftermarket makes a clutch they usually market the same one for multiple applications. I would assume they design its materials and clamping force to withstand the most rigorous application they list it for, then every other application below that rating is along for the ride.

I am looking at several different clutch and pressure plate combinations to spec out one for my ride. It seems this information is conspicuously absent in any material i read on this subject.

It was like pulling teeth, but I did find one company willing to give out a clamping load for their 10.5" clutch setup listed for small block up to including big block 383 4 bbl.

10.5" borg n beck is 2000 lbs.
their 10.5" diaphragm is 2100.

Their 11" borg n beck for 440 and Hemi cars is 2700 lbs.

Since i need a 10.5" clutch which will ultimately be behind a 400HP 360 i am wondering if 2,000 - 2,100 lbs is enough?

Also i am wondering why clutch and pressure plate manufacturers dont seem to want to post these numbers, as well as why i cant find any published numbers for this with stock mopar pressure plates.

Matt

Last edited:
We no longer have a Clutchmasters shop in town but the guy could add more or heavier springs to my 10" Borg and beck for more clamping force. (up to the point of cover deflection) My cover had space for 12 springs but only had 9 installed.

We no longer have a Clutchmasters shop in town but the guy could add more or heavier springs to my 10" Borg and beck for more clamping force. (up to the point of cover deflection) My cover had space for 12 springs but only had 9 installed.
That sounds like a great idea. I have a place in town called precision clutch and driveline. I may have to ask them if they offer this type of service

FWIW, The '75 DC catalog had 2. An HD/Race @ 2500 lb. and an HD/Race @ 3100 lb. in the 10-1/2" diameter B&B. No particular application stated.

-
Back