clutch disc not releasing help!!

-

col318

Reaction score
Ok its not funny anymore, im really starting to hate this project.... I just finished rebuilding a 318, the transmission is a new process 435 4 speed manual transmission (dodge d100 truck).

The problem im having is that i cant get the transmission into any gear because the clutch disc never releases from the pressure plate.

during the rebuild i replaced the pilot bushing and checked for free movement of the imput shaft, i was able to move the imput shaft with my fingers, the clutch disk also moved freely in the imput shaft splines and was lubricated with solid graphite in the assembly, during installation the clutch disk pressure plate and flywheel where aligned with the imput shaft removed from the transmission, i replaced the trowout bearing.

I DID NOT replaced the pressure plate. Clutch disc, trow out bearing, and pilot bushing are new, yes everithing but the pressure plate is new, i didnt have the money to buy it at the time and i dont have it now.

i removed the flywheel lower cover to check and the pressure plate never releases the clucth, i shifted the tranny to second gear and tryed to push the truck while someone pressed the clutch, it was impossible, i thought it was a problem with the clutch links because they are colombian made. so i deleted that option by pulling the clutch fork with a power hand puller, it doesnt matter how much i pull that fork the pressure plate just doesnt releases the disk.

new clutch disc has both faces is 0.140" thick, old disc has the flywheel face worn to 0.130" and the pressure plate face to 0.096" face thickness specification according to 1975 truck manual is 0.140" so i must have the right clutch disc.

taking into account that the clutch worked fine before i damaged it, coud it be possible that an old pressure plate with worn release levers cant move all the way back so it cant release the disc?

pics of the assembly...

Attachments

• 157.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 161.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 163.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 349
  • 184.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 185.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 315
Not sure what you mean by a "Power hand puller". I assume you checked this, but it sounds like a linkage adjustment problem to me. Assuming you purchased and properly installed the correct parts, and it worked OK before, I would think it should work now. If the linkage is over adjusted, you will hear a noise when you push the clutch pedal down all the way. If it is under adjusted, it is possible that the clutch may not disengage. Have you checked that

explain what you mean "damaged it?"

i did once have a BB clutch that would not release "clean" it got clutch facing material jammed up between the pressure plate and the inside of the cover.

you have a hydraulic press?

i know for sure its not a linkage problem those linkages cant be bought in this country anymore, all used linkages in this city are broken like mine and have pounds of welding and "fixes" on them

i attached the power hand puller to the frame and used it to pull the fork as far as possible... the disc was not released.

"power hand puller"

Attachments

• Hand Puller3-1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 305
bolts torqued to spec and have blue loctite, disc cant be installed backwards, it just doesnt fit.

As assembled does your bearing contact all three fingers at the same time?

i just checked it and there is a barely noticeable delay in the contact of one of the 3 fingers very very small delay i may have forced myself to see it, is that important??

Another thought is if the bearing is shorter than the previous one you may run out of throw on the fork. I have seen this and have had to shim up the pivot a bit.

that might be an option but the difference in contact in the fingers is very small
adjusting the pressure plate is out of question, i would have to wait a coupe of months to gather the money and morale to take the fuc&%$ing engine out again and just replace it.

i compared both bearings by aye and they looked exactly the same ( by eye) is there any specification for the fork trow?? i almost bent it when pulling it with the "power hand puller" when the pressure plate stops moving it does not matter how much i pull after that point it just doesnt move anymore

..... is there any specification for the fork trow?? i almost bent it when pulling it with the "power hand puller" when the pressure plate stops moving it does not matter how much i pull after that point it just doesnt move anymore

I don't know of a spec for throw. From what your saying it sounds as though you have more throw but something is bottoming out on you or the plate departure is just maxed out.
If the fingers are worn down I would think you'll lose some plate departure.

Out of the MP book this fixture is for setting finger height on a B&B plate.

It does not give specific directions for use. My take on it is you replace the clutch disc with the fixture (0.310" thickness) and the finger heights should show 1.700" on all three.
Adjust the eyebolts as necessary and stake the nuts to keep them from turning.
A new plate I found one finger off 0.035". So just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

Attachments

• FingHeightFix.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 277
I had one of the pivot adjuster bolts come loose on my pressure plate. Would make clutch hang up. Tightend up through inspection cover and it would last for a while then come loose again. Had to replace pressure plate to cure it.

thanks a lot for the help im just goint to remove the engine and replace the pressure plate if i get into annother stupid problem ill burn this car and myself.

Sounds like the disc is up against the flywheel, and not releasing Check to make sure side with extended springs in into clutch housing not flywheel.

You know sometimes the disc just sticks to the flywheel. Usually though it requires a lot of time. Rusts onto it somehow,
In your case it sounds like the disc is just too thick. Try loosening the perimeter bolts evenly about 2 or 3 turns. If that works, stick some washers or shims in there and tighten the bolts back up. If that works, you may have to fine tune the shim thickness to get a balance between departure and slippage.Good luck.
OOps, sorry. I missed the part about measuring.
Ok then. What are the chances that the input shaft didnt go back into the tranny correctly, And it no longer spins on its bearings?

Or when you put the top cover back on that you inadvertently got the tranny stuck in 2 gears at once?I used to build those trannys and seem to remember reverse can be tricky.

What brand is your clutch and pressure plate? Where was it made?
I went thru the same thing 2 years ago with a Zoom set up.

Had the transmission out 5 times, their techs on the phone, finally the tech said just return it, defective pressure plate.
It was within tolerance on every part, but the stack up of loose tolerance made it in-operable.

Exchanged it for a Center force and no problems.

Hi there i finally pulled the engine and removed the clutch
And what a surprise the problem was exactly the opossite of what we believed to be, as i mentioned the clutch linkages are colombian fixed/modified, it turned out that this many "fixes" caused the clutch fork travel to be so exsesively long that the 3 pressure plate finges moved enough to contact the clutch disc springs grabbing the clutch instead of releasing it, i will have to adjust pedal travel to compensate... Since im "already there" i will replace the pressure plate (clutch linkages cant be found in this country)

Thanks for the interest guys

-
Back