Clutch fork won't clip back in.

-
I ran a 4 speed in my big block dart way back.swapped in factory linkage. Still have it all. On the torque shaft what i had to do was take some of the bends out of that arm. Not much. That moved the arm down and away from the starter and scattershield. Also added a little more travel to the linkage. As to the clutch not releasing, you sure something is not stuck in the pressure plate? You had enough force applied to bend the rod. That should have operated the clutch regardless of any other issues. You should be able to slip a large cresent wrench on the throwout fork and with your leg operate the clutch,,,easily. If not something is jamming it up. I cant imagine the linkage being so far off as to cause these problems. Doubt that adding the overcenter spring will help. Check the throwout fork for cracks in the pivot area. They can fail. Just trying to help.

Ok, so just an update, and thanks everyone for helping me out.
I put a spirit level on the torque tube and raised the motor on the drivers side so it was dead level. This improved my clearance a bit but the z bar was still hitting. I removed z bar and took a small notch out and also bent the lower arm in slightly. I also made a clutch pedal stop bolt and adjusted my rods to suit. This gave me a little more clearance down at the starter end of the z bar, so now it's not hitting on the release. :)

I had all these bits out last night when I was talking with Wayne and they all looked fine and he verified I had the correct bits. I emailed him a bunch of pics and we went through them individually.

I reinstalled all the bits today and the clutch feels so much better,still firm, but nowhere near as hard as it previously was.
I still need to check clearance between pp and disc, just waiting for my stepson to get home from work so he can keep the clutch in and I can check it.

Attachments

• DSC_3579.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 206
Your gonna need a torque strap. Under power the drivers side of the motor will twist upward. That will put that arm in touch with the starter again. Check it carefully.

Finally some great news.
I now have clearance between the pp and disc and the pedal feels good but still need to get the overcentre spring. I had one delivered yesterday but it looks like a clutch pedal return spring, nowhere near strong enough.

I will put a torque strap on as mentioned above.

Thankyou everyone for helping me out again, I don't know what I would have done without this forum.

I only have a few things to do before I can get on the road.
Basically some wiring, my driveshaft uni's, and a wheel alignment. I'm pretty average at wiring, so I'll be over in the wiring section to research ammetre bypass. :)

Attachments

• DSC_3582.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 168
Looks like the correct spring to me. To me the spring was.more about bringing the pedal up against the stop and getting that half to one inch freeplay rather than easing pedal pressure.

While the overcenter spring DOES help bring the pedal up, once you push the pedal past a certain angle, it reverses the direction in which it exerts force to the pedal and ADDS to the pedal pressure of the driver.

That OC spring does indeed look way light; they are usually pretty stout and made of a few turns of thick wire. Like this:
https://clutch-spring.dvautoparts.c...dodge-b-body-nos-mopar-2260728-w-jqjpqjnlnkri

(But there may be more than one way to achieve the desired free length and spring rate.)

So what was the fix for getting the clutch clearance? Just aligning everything right so the throw distances were right? Or did you find something bent or worn?

The motor was sitting too low on the drivers side engine mount, as soon as I raised it so the torque tube was exactly level, it gave me that little bit of extra travel it needed to get the clearance to the pp/clutch disc.

The throw on your system seems to be pretty touchy, but at least you have run down the problem area. If you find you have shifting issues at higher RPM's, then look at these 2 bits of knowledge on clutch pedals; it relates to the available throw in the pedal and linkage system. With more throw, your pedal pressure will increase but it will help PP-clutch gap:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=139846

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transm...12-four-speed-a-body-clutch-pedal-adjustment/

-
Back